Saturday, August 31, 2013

Happy Birthday Wyatt!



Our big guy is officially 7 years old! He woke to a room full of balloons, because that's what now happens in our house on your birthday. I'm not sure how the tradition started but I'm not going to be the one to break it. Dayven was at a guys' poker game Friday night so I had to blow them all up on my own and sneak them in while he was sleeping. Judging by the excited squeals I heard at 6:30am, I'd say he appreciated them. He opened his presents from Nana and Poppy after breakfast and had fun playing his new Nintendo game.







































Dayven took the boys to Wyatt's swimming lesson, while I took Hadley to her friend's pirate birthday party. The invite said to wear a costume so she happily suited up. She convinced me to let her roll down the window and halfway there, her hat blew out the window, on one of the busiest streets in town. I doubled back until I found it, precariously parked, scurried across the street like a game of Frogger, climbed a steep embankment in platform shoes, then raced back across to a few horns honking. When I got back in the car safely, she informed me she didn't want to wear the hat. Go figure. We arrived at her friend's house 30 minutes late and ready to party.  I had worn a black and white striped dress and a bunch of gaudy pirate jewels and carried a sword. It turns out we were the only ones besides the host family and the birthday boy who made much of an effort. Most people wore regular clothes or Pittsburgh Pirates jerseys. People are so boring. I'm glad we skipped the painted on mustaches we were contemplating. That would have just been awkward. Anyhoo, it was a fun party with a ton of decorations, a pirate craft, a treasure hunt lead by a swash-buckling grandpa, a booty-filled treasure chest, a bouncy house and a full lunch. You know, just the usual kids' birthday party these days.






















We went back home to celebrate with OUR birthday boy. Wyatt picked cheeseburgers and macaroni and cheese for his birthday meal (I think we met our daily dairy allotment) and we enjoyed cake (he requested I make "Disney Planes") and presents after dinner. He was thrilled with his Disney Infinity game and he and Dayven got to work playing it right away. I'm grateful that my kids are still appeased with the low key family celebrations and I don't have to run around like a mad women throwing a Pinterest-inspired party.



























Sunday we headed out for the family outing he'd chosen, a cruise on the Goodship Lollipop Pirate Adventure. We're on a pirate kick these days and I wanted to get some more use out of the pirate hat I'd risked my life for. The Goodship Lollipop is an old fashioned boat that takes a scenic cruise through downtown Pittsburgh. The narrator onboard shares some history and trivia while the pirate impersonator makes balloon swords, does magic tricks and lead the kids on a treasure hunt. The big kids had a great time. Tate is at that tricky age where he doesn't want to stay seated and his agenda never matches yours so I spent most of the cruise following him around and keeping him out of trouble. Still, we enjoyed ourselves and the views were amazing. Wyatt loves to go out to eat and there are a bunch of restaurants down on the riverfront so we decided to have lunch. He picked Hardrock Cafe (since he "loves rock music"). I haven't eaten at one in years and the food was surprisingly good. No visit to Station Square is complete without some dancing in front of the musical fountain. Tate misjudged the overspray and got soaked. He was not a happy guy. We all had fun celebrating our special guy and his big day.
Yo ho! Raise the Jolly Roger!
Yarn Bomb on the Andy Warhol Bridge
The entire bridge was knitted!
Tate was SO done with the tour at this point...
He's got the moves like Jagger
And....SOAKED!

1 comment:

Winona said...

I can just see you chasing across the street for that hat but I had a good laugh when she announced she did not want to wear the hat afterall!! My, Wyatt is all of a sudden getting tall and grown up. We are taking the train across Canada this Wed. start in Vancouver, end up in Toronto and the falls. We go to Kamloops, lake Louise, Baniff. We've been there but will enjoy it again.