Friday, August 31, 2007

Happy Birthday, Wyatt!

We had a quiet evening at home with just the three of us to celebrate Wyatt’s big day. Dayven and I were feeling pretty festive so we popped some bubbly to help him celebrate. After dinner, Wyatt got to dig in to his birthday cake. I deliberated forever about what to make for him since I don’t want him ingesting any refined sugars or *GASP* high fructose corn syrup (yes, I’m one of those moms). After much Internet surfing, I found a suitable recipe – sugar-free banana cake sweetened with pineapple juice. It tasted terrible, but that's ok, eating it really isn't the point. Anyway, I've got Wyatt convinced that fruit is a dessert and I want to ride that train as long as possible. He was a little confused by the concept as usually he is told NOT to play with his food. Now you want me to play with it, mom? He stared at it as if he didn’t know quite what to do, before timidly poking his chubby little fingers in, but we had expected this. Our friends with children who've already passed this milestone had warned us it would be pretty uneventful.

After cake, we took him upstairs to have some real fun. He sat in the middle of a mountain of presents staring in awe. He got so much from the rest of the family, we didn't buy him a single thing. Dayven had to help him open his gifts and as you can imagine, the balloons and wrapping paper were just as exciting as the contents of the packages. I'm sure he’ll appreciate the toys later when we're snowed in the house. He got heaps of new books, toys and clothes from Grammy, more toys, books and a Laugh & Learn house from Nana and Poppy, a Thomas the Train tunnel from cousin Erin and a ride-on bike from Great Grandma. Good thing the movers are packing and not us!




Grammy sent a bunch of new books to read at bedtime.
Checking out the new house Nana and Poppy got him.
Get a load of all that birthday loot!

No comments: