Monday, August 06, 2007

Gonna wash that junk right outta my nose

Did you know that you can wash out your sinuses? It's true. You Oprah fans have probably seen her friend Dr. Oz talking about the Neti Pot, a small nose bidet that you use to clean out your sinuses. I thought it sounded pretty interesting, but I didn’t think much more about it until my cousin Elyse came to town. She was raving about it, telling me how it was life changing. I told her the same thing about Tivo a while back and she believed me so I had to trust her too. I purchased the Sinus Rinse Kit for $12.99 at Walgreens. Dayven agreed to be the guinea pig and tried it first. He refused to comment much on the feeling, saying that I should just try it and see for myself. Although I really don’t suffer from sinus problems and outgrew most of my allergies years ago, I was curious. I was a little afraid it might be the equivalent to inhaling while a big ocean wave is washing over you, but I decided to go for it anyway. I mixed up the solution and squirted away, feeling the water swirl through my sinuses, then drain out the other nostril into the sink. It feels uncomfortable for just a half second, then it’s sort of refreshing and salty tasting. I must admit that my nose felt incredibly clean afterward, with perhaps even a heightened sense of smell, although this could have been psychosomatic. We’re now on day 4 of the sinus wash and all's well. Since I wasn’t really suffering from anything, I have no symptoms to improve, but I do have a very clean sniffer. Dayven is still complaining of slight allergies so I guess the jury’s still out. If you have sinus problems or allergies, you should give it a try to form your own opinion. What have you got to lose? Clean out that schnozz!

No comments: