Isn’t it funny how fashion trends always come back around if you wait long enough? When I look at a fashion magazine now, I swear that I had some of those exact outfits back in the day. Lindsay Lohan thinks she's on the cutting edge of fashion, but I had that outfit when I was in middle school, sister! If only I had saved some of those beloved treasures. If you were a child of the 80’s, I’m

sure you remember them too. We wore leggings, jelly shoes and bracelets, plastic colored jewelry, side pony-tails and got most of our fashion advice from movies like “Sixteen Candles”, “Pretty in Pink” and “Can’t buy me love”. I especially remember the jeans. Jordache was popular, as was Esprit, but none so much as “Guess? Jeans”. That little telltale triangle on the butt let everyone know you had officially arrived. There were peg legged, zipper ankles and colored jeans (which incidentally, are all back in style). If your jeans weren’t tight enough at the ankles, you could always “tight roll” them, an elaborately refined process which involved folding them over, then rolling them a few times to create that nice snug look. I still remember one of my favorite pairs of jeans. I was the second owner - they had been previously well loved by my cousin Erin. They had a fold over waist like a shirt collar and multiple patches of colored denim on them. Oh, and I’m pretty sure they were pleated. I realize I’m really not doing them justice in this description, but trust me, they were
nice and I was the envy of all my friends.

Despite the fact that the temperature has reached triple digits this week, I’ve been thinking about my winter wardrobe, hence all this talk of jeans. I decided it was time to add another pair of jeans to my arsenal since they are pretty much my daily winter uniform. Shopping for jeans is about as much fun as shopping for a new bathing suit. There are a lot of things to consider: cut, style, brand, wash, etc. It is important to beware of the many criminal offenses committed with jeans – the dreaded “muffin top” (love handles or a big belly that spills over the top), the “plumber crack” (pretty self explanatory – a problem when the rise is too low on jeans). And then there's
mom jeans, as parodied on Saturday Night Live. As much as I like to shop by myself, I decided I needed a second opinion so as not to commit a major faux pas so I dragged Dayven and Wyatt along with me to try on some jeans. They wandered the store patiently while I proceeded to try on no less than 80 pairs, all of varying

colors and styles. What they’re charging for jeans these days is bordering on insanity, but I figure with as often as I wear them, the amortized price per wear is pretty reasonable. The poor salesgirl was running herself ragged trying to find a pair that pleased. A half an hour and a mountain of discarded jeans later, I decided I needed a little more time to mull it over so we left empty-handed, much to the dismay of the salesgirl. Dayven was frustrated that after all that I didn’t buy anything (how many husbands can you say that about?) but I told him since I LOVE my jeans and wear them so much, they have to be really special. I hauled Wyatt back over the next day and tried on a couple more pairs. In the end, I settled on
Joe’s Jeans, figuring if they are good enough for J-Lo’s booty, they are good enough for mine.
No comments:
Post a Comment