Wyatt, my neighbor Maggie and I saw the wildest thing today while walking on the greenway trail – an albino deer! Now we’re used to seeing deer and even horses on the trail, but this made us do a double take. The deer was regular sized, but entirely solid white with pink eyes and a pink nose. After looking it up on the internet, I found this is extremely rare -- the chances of an albino being born are 1 in 30,000. They often don’t live long due to the inability to camouflage themselves in the wild and they have very poor eyesight. She was traveling with a herd of 8 other regular white-tail deer and they were all just grazing in the bushes about 10 feet off the trail. As you can imagine, she was attracting quite a crowd. Everyone on the trail stopped to admire her and snap pictures of her with their camera phones. She had her own little crew of paparazzi following her! This is stock photo from the internet that looks exactly like what we saw. I took a picture on my phone, but I can’t figure out how to get it on my computer.
Wednesday, March 21, 2007
What the !??
Wyatt, my neighbor Maggie and I saw the wildest thing today while walking on the greenway trail – an albino deer! Now we’re used to seeing deer and even horses on the trail, but this made us do a double take. The deer was regular sized, but entirely solid white with pink eyes and a pink nose. After looking it up on the internet, I found this is extremely rare -- the chances of an albino being born are 1 in 30,000. They often don’t live long due to the inability to camouflage themselves in the wild and they have very poor eyesight. She was traveling with a herd of 8 other regular white-tail deer and they were all just grazing in the bushes about 10 feet off the trail. As you can imagine, she was attracting quite a crowd. Everyone on the trail stopped to admire her and snap pictures of her with their camera phones. She had her own little crew of paparazzi following her! This is stock photo from the internet that looks exactly like what we saw. I took a picture on my phone, but I can’t figure out how to get it on my computer.
