One year old already!? How could that be? Exactly one year ago today, you came into the world - a sweet, round, roly poly little thing who instantly captured our hearts. I've loved watching you grow and learn over the past year. You never fail to amaze me. Just when I think I know your next move, you go and surprise me. You are smart, curious, astonishingly assertive, tough as nails and incredibly forgiving. One shove from your big brother and you're quickly drying your tears and heading back for more fun. I'm in love with your soft pudgy folds, your big blue eyes and that slow sweet smile that creeps across your face when you see me. You are like a little ray of sunshine in my day. I love watching your personality develop and I can't wait to see what you'll become. I know you have great things in store. It is an honor to be your mommy and I know we're going to have a great life together! I love you, Baby Girl!
We celebrated Hadley's birthday with a little swim in the pool and ate lunch outside. After her nap, we let her open her presents, or I should say, Wyatt opened her presents for her. All two of them. We have so many toys, I just couldn't bear to buy much. I picked up a couple of fun things at a garage sale and she loved them.

I convinced Dayven to let me get her a Cozy Coupe car, after hearing from my girlfriends how much their kids love theirs. The thought of one more brightly-colored, plastic toy in our yard almost put him over the edge, but I convinced him she would love it. He was reluctant, but finally gave in...
Hadley's "Sweet One" present! What girl doesn't want a new ride for her birthday?

Hadley's birthday was certainly different than Wyatt's first birthday. I was so adamant about him not eating sugar that I made him a whole wheat banana cake, sweetened with apple juice. It tasted like cardboard so we ended up pitching it after the photos. He also got heaps of presents, NEW ones too, not things picked up at a garage sale. Sorry Hadley, but you know we love you. The second kid always gets jipped.
Lucky for Hadley, I've loosened up a bit with my food obsessions since then so she got the good stuff. I made her a fun 3-dimensional Bear cake, my most complicated cake to date. It turns out piping a 3-D cake is a lot harder than a flat character cake, but it turned out cute. He started leaning a little to the right so I had to prop him up with toothpicks and a napkin. I wanted him to remain upright long enough to get a good picture...not to mention the WOW factor when I showed him to Hadley. It was her first taste of something sweet and as you can tell by the pictures and video, she loved it, unlike her brother. He ate two bites of his cake and announced he was done. She would have devoured the entire head if we let her.
![]() |
| A sugary bear for my little Sugar Bear! |
![]() |
| First a tentative taste, then realization of what she was eating set in... |
![]() |
| The sugar monster has been awakened! She started double fisting... |
![]() |
I'm not sure what was more disturbing - watching Hadley rip the bear's face off or the fact that the rest of us ate a headless bear... |
![]() |
| She annihilated him like King Kong! |
![]() |
| Straight to the bathtub for this dirty little monkey! |










5 comments:
Oh, how cute and what a beautiful job you did on the bear. I love it!! I remember my first grand child, I could not even feed her a soda cracker when she was fussy but when the 2nd one came along, feed her anything you want Grandma! Every first time mother is the same. I'm glad you remember the difference too.!!
Happy Birthday Hadley! You are an absolute doll. What a clever Mamma with that amazing cake, looked yum too!
Happy 1st Birthday Hadley!
i love her annialiating (sp?) that bear head....my boys refused to so much as get their fingers dirty;(
Happy Birthday, Sweet Hadley!!! I just can't believe that she's one. (I'm sitting here in shock!!) How did that year go by so fast? She is absolutely adorable (and very lucky to have a mommy like you!).
Post a Comment