Friday, August 21, 2009

Daddy's week off!

Daddy's week off has really translated to Mommy's week off, or at least, Mommy's last week with a lot of extra help. Reality will be setting in next week when Dayven goes back to work and also has his first business trip. I'm not terribly excited to be handling two kids on my own, but millions of women do it every day and I know I can too.

For now, we are just enjoying having Dayven here. Having him home all week has reminded me of how lucky I am to have such a great hands-on husband. Many husbands will do what is asked of them, but with Dayven, I don't really even have to ask. He just notices what needs to be done and he does it. He got Wyatt up every morning, made his breakfast, then took him on a little outing so I could have some quiet time with Hadley. He took him to the playground and they washed the car together. They went shopping one day to Home Depot and the electronics store and they even went out to lunch, just the two of them. Wyatt is loving all this attention and quality time with his Daddy. Dayven gives him a bath every night and reads him stories, and still finds the energy to walk the dog. I am so grateful that he is doing so much since I'm spending a lot of time with Hadley right now.

Hadley and I have even been able to join them on some outings. We had our first Costco run - I definitely be doing that alone with two kids for a while - and did some other shopping. We went for a walk to the park one day to test out Wyatt's kite and we even took a trip to the zoo. The weather was so gorgeous, we thought it would be fun to get out and enjoy our last bit of summer. Our zoo is really nice, but many of the animals were nowhere to be found. Was it too hot? Were they sleeping in the bushes? There were hundreds of kids there that day, dying to see Lucy the elephant. Where was she? Getting her nails done? That always seems to happen at zoos with nice natural habitats. It's the trade off I guess for the animals to have a nice life - you may or may not see them. Anyway, Wyatt and Dayven still enjoyed seeing what they could. Sadly, I didn't see much of the zoo at all. Hadley woke up just 15 minutes into our visit and began loudly voicing her hunger pains. I sat on a bench and tried to discreetly nurse her under a blanket (roasting!) while hoards of summer day camp kids went running past. I never know the etiquette on this, but I figured it was either do it there or hightail it back to the parking lot and crouch down in the back of the car. No thanks. She eats at a leisurely pace, so by the time she was done, Wyatt and Dayven had already covered most of the zoo without me.
Tonight one of my girlfriends is dropping dinner off for us so I don't have to cook. All this extra help and attention has sure been spoiling us and we've had a great week with Dayven. I'll be curious to see how next week goes...

Must be a funny dream...

3 comments:

Winona said...

seeing Dayven flying the kite reminded me of our next door neighbor when our kids were small, he furnished all the kids on the block kites every spring. Once in a while we got them to fly.

Cassie said...

Good luck this week! It's really not that bad, you just have to make a plan for what you're going to do when you aren't attached to the baby! Although that's the best part... sitting on the couch, feeding a sleepy baby, and reading stephenie meyer.

Mizerany Family said...

You'll do fine Chels! But if you need an ear...call me, I'll be home all week (Steve is traveling too). Hadley is so stinking cute!