Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Frostbite 5K

I ran a 5k last weekend with a group of girlfriends. I've just recently gotten back into running and figured signing up for a race would inspire me to train harder. It was appropriately titled the Frostbite 5K, with a nippy 20 degrees Saturday morning. It was for a great cause too, the ABOARD Autism group of PA, the same one we're raising money for on our relay team for the Pittsburgh Marathon.  I ran with a group of moms from my special moms group, all who have children on the autism spectrum. It was a relatively flat course through a nice park around a lake. Of all the 300+ people who were there, most had a personal connection. It was a really great vibe with everyone kind of cheering everyone on, more so than any other race I've ever run. There was a man there whose 8 year old daughter has severe autism and is blind. He's running the full marathon BLINDFOLDED in honor of her. He ran the race and pushed her in a jog stroller while everyone cheered him on. It was pretty emotional.






We went out for lunch and a beer after to celebrate. I started to feel sick once I got home and was violently ill for the next 24 hours, but enough about that. At least I made it through the race...

Also a HUGE thank you to all who have donated to my marathon relay fundraiser. The last time I checked the total was at over $3300, making me their biggest fundraiser! I'm so touched and humbled by everyone's generousity. What a wonderful cause and I'm so excited to be a part of the marathon in May! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is great the kids love sushi and that they are learnin to use the chop sticks. We always wrapped a rubber band around them. Our spring is here, our daffodils are blooming. We've had a lot of wind. We have been to Florida to visit my bro/wife at the Villages. We had a good time but would not want to live in the villages. Too many old people, golf carts and no side walks. Beautiful homes tho. My sis went to so all 3 of us was together. My bro. has a mini comvertible cooper car. Only 2 seater so we had to take turns in it.