Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Why my daughter's role model is a lasso wielding cat



Hadley's choice of career changes daily. It's anything from a paleontologist to an "ice creamer" ("someone who gives ice cream to everyone!")  to a "fire worker" or a police officer. The cowgirl obsessions has been going on for a bit now.

Have you seen the new show on Disney, Sheriff Calle's Wild West? It's about the sweetest thing ever - Sheriff Callie is a spunky cat who's the sheriff of her town ("Nice and Friendly Corners"). She helps fight crime, be a good friend and neighbor and teaches lessons on honesty and forgiveness. It's sparked a new obsession over here. We're all sheriff, all the time, roping things with our magic lassos.

I can't tell you how pleased I am with all the great TV and movie characters for our girls these days. I haven't done much to encourage the princess fascination that seems to take over the under 6 group and I'm thrilled the appeal has mostly escaped our house. They're all quite old fashioned when you think about it, the classic ones anyway. They're really just these demure, quiet little wallflowers singing songs to themselves, waiting for their prince to come and rescue them. I have to give Disney some props for finally getting with the times and giving our girls some good role models.

I love Princess Sophia. She's actually the same age as most of the girls that look up to her and she keeps it real. She's sometimes awkward and unsure of herself, but she always tries her best to do the right thing and she has a good heart. There's Doc McStuffins. She's a doctor, for cryin' out loud. Jesse the Yodeling Cowgirl is spunky, sweet, sassy and fearless. She isn't afraid to speak her mind and she's fiercely loyal to her friends and she doesn't have boobs (like the princesses or Barbie). You know, all the important stuff.  And don't forget about Dora. She's adventurous, resourceful and bi-lingual! New role models are popping up all the time. I haven't seen Disney's Frozen yet, but I hear there are some fabulous messages for young girls about confidence and loving yourself as you are.

I love that Hadley is girly in some ways, but not in others. She's a lot like Jesse actually. She's fun, energetic and she definitely speaks her mind. She has a great imagination and she loves to come up with new ideas to entertain her friends. She has a ton of costumes and dress up, but she's just as happy being a pirate as she is being snow white. The princess costumes are actually the least worn of all the ones in the trunk. I haven't done anything to perpetuate that, it's just who she is. I love that she knows she has choices and she has a voice in this world. She doesn't like to be like everyone else and is always doing things just to be a little bit different. I think differences are what make this world interesting and I'm thrilled this is rubbing off on my kids. I hope I'm still saying this when she's 16 and begging for a tattoo. Yeehaw!

No comments: