Monday, July 27, 2009

Not so itsy bitsy spiders, Part II

I love our backyard. It's full of big, mature trees that offer tons of shade and privacy. I guess it's a trade off, because with trees, come creepy crawly things. I have been seeing an incredible amount of spiders lately, although Dayven doesn't think it's nearly as bad here as spider-infested Nashville. If you've been following my blog a while, you might remember reading about Spider Alley. At least the Canadian spiders have the decency to stay in the yard where they belong and don't try to invade our living quarters. Ugh, what is it about spiders? I find them so revolting, but I try to suck it up and put on a brave face for Wyatt so he doesn't develop a fear like I have. Yes, I know everyone always says spiders are more afraid of you than you are of them, but I know for a fact that's hogwash.

The playhouse in our backyard seems to be a spider mecca, but that doesn't stop Wyatt. He was in there playing the other day when he announced he found a spider. He really has an eye for them and seems to spot even the tiniest ones. I ignored him for a minute, but he kept talking about it, so I figured I'd better go check it out. I stuck my head in and looked around. I didn't see anything, but he pointed out a tiny one, making its way across the wall. I told him it was OK, just leave it alone and it will go away. He said "Oh! Anudda one!" and pointed to a giant daddy longs on the ceiling. I know they're harmless, but they really gross me out. As my eyes slowly scanned the house, I started noticing more. Two, three, four...five! Alright, that's it. I ordered Wyatt out of the playhouse and when he protested, I dragged him out. "Wyatt, please come out of the house so I can go in and bludgeon them to death with this rock ask the spiders to leave". In the end, I lost my nerve and ended up squirting down the entire house with the hose on full stream, in hopes of at least washing them away.

Dayven has accused me of making Wyatt a Sally by pushing my fears on him. As he watched me face the spider from outside the playhouse, he curiously peeked in the window and asked "Is it gone, mommy? Is it too sca-wee?" I'd actually like to instill a bit more fear in him. I once caught him trying to pick up a big spider, which I don't think is a good idea either. What if he encounters a poisonous blood-sucking one?

He has some rubber toy spiders that he likes to play with, so maybe that's why he thinks it's OK to pick them up and carry them around. It's probably also why he exclaimed enthusiastically, "Oh! I WIKE spiders!" Not me. I can barely stand touching the rubber ones, let alone the real thing. I hate all his fake spiders, ants, grasshoppers and snakes. They're just way too realistic. Imagine seeing this hairy guy (pictured above) lounging on the rug as you're walking down the hall at night. It has briefly fooled me on more than one occasion.

The spiders, unfortunately, don't always keep their distance. I was bending over in the backyard yesterday helping Wyatt with something, when he exclaimed "Spider, mommy! I see it! Dere it is!" ME: "Where buddy?" WYATT: "Dere! Oh! Spider!" It looked as though he was pointing at me. What the?? At that exact moment, I felt something tickle my lower back, which was exposed from bending over. I stood up and started flapping my arms, running around and squealing like a banshee, trying to rid myself of the vile creature. Wyatt watched wide-eyed in silence. When I was sure it was off me, I relaxed and looked over at Wyatt, who was bending over, staring down, deep in concentration. "Dere is it! On a ground!!", he pointed excitedly. Sure enough, it was lumbering across the brick sidewalk, trying to make it's escape. I have no idea how he spotted it, but I gave it a final squish with my flip flop. "Don't worry, Wy. It's dead now!" I looked up to see Dayven shaking his head in disappointment. I guess this is what he was talking about by pushing my fears on him. Hey, I say better safe than sorry...

4 comments:

Marta said...

O.k first off your tomatoes look amazing...yum! Wish I lived closer because I would be happy to help eat them. Secondly...that picture of the rubber spider sent chills down my back. As I was reading I actully thought it was a real one you were going to write about until you stated that it was fake...ughhh!

ebbandflow said...

Couldn't even look at the photo (much like the last blog about spiders!) and I laughed and laughed at your reaction about the idea of a spider on your back. I am exactly the same and squealing like a banshee is no exaggeration, you poor thing. I'm going to die when my boys decide it's fun to collect creepy crawleys in their bug catchers. Let's hope Daddy is home that week!! xx

Mizerany Family said...

Okay, another blog post that made me laugh out loud....too funny! However, I couldn't agree more with you about spiders (or any bug for that matter)!

Winona said...

Our daughter, Joni, did not like spiders either. I still can hear her shreeks when she saw one.