Wyatt and I found ourselves with nothing on our agenda this morning so we decided to break out the Moon Sand I purchased a while back. It's basically colored sand with a slightly sticky texture, allowing it to be molded into shapes. I wanted to see what all the hype was about. Let's just say I love it even less than I love Play-doh, which is not very much at all. Loathe is a strong word, but it's definitely not on my top 10 list. What is this stuff anyway? At least Play-doh kind of sticks to itself, making clean up a little easier. This is just sand that has just enough stickiness to stick to your clothes, shoes, furniture, whatever it touches in big gritty, crumbly clumps. True to form, Wyatt was bored after a short time and ready to move on the next thing. I really hate these kind of activities. They're a lot of prep-work and a lot of mess, for a very short amount of enjoyment. I also shy away from Play-doh and finger painting for the same reason. Does that make me a bad mom? Call me crazy, but I prefer toys/activities that don't require you to take a garden hose to your child and all surfaces they've touched after they're done playing. A friendly Thanks for nothing, Mr. Moon Sand Inventor


The pictures really don't do it justice. It was like a blue and yellow sand explosion. Thank goodness it was a nice day and we had decided to play with it outside. I did my best to remove the offending Moon Sand from the chair, table, deck, Wyatt's face...It doesn't say anywhere on the box about it being biodegradable so it's possible future generations will still be seeing a strange blue and yellow substance in the grass for years to come. Just when I thought I had gotten it all, I noticed it was all ground into the treads of our shoes (or at least Wyatt's shoes - I know better than to walk around the table during a messy project) and stuck in the pads of Finley's feet. Seriously, I just kept finding it in more places. I think I got the worst of it, but I'm sure more will turn up. We're expecting a rain storm this afternoon which should dispose of the final remnants. If not, Dayven will have another excuse to use his power washer. I think I will file this one under NEVER AGAIN. This Moon Sand kit may conveniently and mysteriously find it's way to the trash bin.

4 comments:
Thanks for the warning! That is definitely one we will stay away from!
Thank Goodness you decided to do it outside!! never heard of the stuff.
I tried painting the other day, Tom was fine but Angus put the paint brush straight into his mouth (after I had dipped into the paint no less!) That's the end of painting for a while. Playdoh is the better alternative for us! 10 pts for trying though, hee, hee.
I'm a bad mom too. I hate playing with that kind of stuff. Like I don't have enough to clean already?!? I think you're a saint for giving it a go!
Post a Comment