Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Nana comes to town

My mom has been in town for the past two weeks and we've been having a ball together. We had beautiful fall weather and took some walks in the neighborhood and even headed to the Haunted Pumpkin Festival, where we checked out the haunted house, corn maze and the petting zoo. We shopped and had lunch at Urban Diner, our favorite restaurant. We took my mom swimming at the indoor pool and wore her out. Wyatt is getting more confident in the pool and swims around like a fish, all by himself. If it weren't for water wings, he'd sink like a rock, but that doesn't stop him from paddling all over. He runs to the edge and jumps right in, whether I'm ready for him or not. I'm not sure who was more worn out by the end - Wyatt or my mom. We went to the library to pick out some new books. Wyatt ran off (a regular occurrence these days) and we found him creating a stack of books on the self-check out counter. Thankfully the line of people waiting behind him were patient. He's a non-stop ball of energy and it was nice having a little help keeping him corralled.

Dayven and I took advantage of the offer to babysit and went on a movie date night. We stuffed the lining of our coats with contraband goodies purchased at the gas station and headed out for the night. Between the unnecessary chatting, ringing cell phones and annoyingly loud toe tapping behind us, we decided the movie theatre is a bit overrated and we really prefer watching movies snuggled up on our couch in our PJs.

My mom brought Wyatt some belated birthday presents so he had plenty of new fun things to check out, including a Thomas the Train tent that hooks to his Thomas tunnel he loves. It's the perfect little spot to curl up and look at his books. He and Finley were having a ball rolling around in there. It was non-stop giggles as the whole thing shook. Who knows what was going on in there.

Wyatt relished all the attention from my mom and soaked up every bit. Nana is much more enthusiastic about playing trains and wrestling on the floor than I am. She thinks he is the silliest, cutest boy ever and can't get enough of him, or at least, she felt that way at the beginning of the trip. After a week of being together, what started as "Wyatt, you are the sweetest boy!" gave way to comments like "Phew! He is sure a handful!", "I don't remember you kids acting like this" and "Nana needs a glass of wine!"

But all in all, I think my mom enjoyed herself and she still loves him, despite his occasional tantrums. She's headed back home today. We miss her already, but after two weeks of eating Ramen noodles and cereal and surfing the web, I'm sure my dad is ready for her to come home.

Dayven spent the past week in Denver with Karen. They had a nice time visiting, playing scrabble and just being together. The weather was beautiful and he was able to hit a round of golf and even catch a Colorado School of Mines football game. Dayven went to college there and played football (wide receiver) so he always loves to go back and relive his "glory days". He headed on to British Columbia for some business meetings and he arrives home tomorrow.

4 comments:

Marta said...

It looks like you had such a great time with your mom! I love the pics of him trying on her glasses...he looks so cute. Tell wyatt to stop growing so fast...he looks taller again!

Mizerany Family said...

Moms are great, aren't they! How fun for you three to spend so much time together. Our prayers are still with Karen and you all. Miss you!!

The Vlachs said...

It's wonderful how confident of a little boy Wyatt is becoming! I didn't know Dayven played college football! Super cool.

Anonymous said...

What fun you had with your mom. I miss not having any little grand children any more. I played Upwords the afternoon Dayven went to play golf. It was a beautiful day. I'm sure he had a good time and we did too.