Monday, October 27, 2008

Can you tell Elmo how to get back to Sesame Street?

Wyatt has developed a crush on Elmo. Actually it's been building a while, but now it's a full blown obsession. He is madly, unequivocally in love. What is it with kids and Elmo? It's like the second coming of Elvis. Wyatt talks about him all the time and loves any book or TV show that Elmo appears in. If he even hears his voice, he screams "Eh-mo!" and goes running in the direction the sound is coming from.

You can only imagine how excited Wyatt was when Daddy arrived home from his trip to Denver with the new "Elmo Live" doll, compliments of Grammy Karen. He loves to sit on the floor and listen to Elmo sing songs, tell countless jokes and VERY LONG stories. He dances with Elmo. He loves to share his snacks with Elmo and "feeds" him whatever he is eating. Consequently, Elmo's mouth has remnants of crackers, cheese and whatever else Wyatt has been plying him with. I often catch Finley trying to lick any tiny morsel that may have been left behind from Elmo's mouth so, to the casual observer, it looks like they're having a make out session.

We have Elmo's voice permanently ingrained in our heads now. "Elmo loves you." "You are Elmo's best friend." "Uh-oh! Elmo fell down. Will you help Elmo up please?" Why does Elmo always refer to himself in the third person anyway? I actually heard Dayven tell Elmo "Dayven would like Elmo to shut the h--- up, please". We'll give Wyatt and Elmo a little more time together, then I have a feeling Elmo may take a small vacation in the closet for a bit. I guess it could be worse. He could be obsessed with a big purple dinosaur.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved that Elmo too. When I was at Karen's I got Elmo to talk to me. I had just heard about this new elmo on the TV that morning so I was glad to get to see it. I've missed not seeing Karen this wk. since Joni and Steve were here. Now I'm getting ready to go to France on the first of Nov. on a river cruise. We'll be gone 12 days.

Karen, Luke, Emmett and Jolene Anderson said...

If you want to meet up in Billings in a few weeks....we are going to Seasame Street live Elmo Makes Music. Luke got out of going cause he said he'd rather die. Kind of a long drive for a show, but thought I'd throw it out there just in case you were going to swing thru to Denver!