Friday, January 11, 2008

Quitcherbellyachin’

My sixth grade teacher, Miss Sharon, used to have a sign at the front of her classroom that read Quitcherbellyachin’. It was intended to remind us kids that if there was something we didn’t like, we should just keep it to ourselves. I always found this ironic as she seemed to have a lot of complaints herself, but who was I to question the teacher.

Miss Sharon did have a good point though. I mean, what good does complaining do anyway? I have decided to take the complaint free challenge, much to my husband's delight. Scientists say it takes 21 days to form a new habit so the idea is to try NOT complaining for 21 days. A church in Kansas City has started A Complaint Free World and the response has been overwhelming. I ordered the bracelets back in June of 2006 and just now received them (but I'm not complaining, mind you). You start with the bracelet on one wrist and any time you voice a complaint out loud, you must switch the bracelet to the other wrist. The object is to keep the bracelet on the same wrist for 21 days. Dayven said he doesn’t think the bracelet will last 21 minutes on one of my wrists. I disagree – I think I’m a very positive person so I’m out to prove him wrong…

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." - Maya Angelou

No comments: