Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A pinch of this and a dash of that

Every night, like a good little wifey, I prepare a home cooked meal for my husband. I see it as part of my job as a stay-at-home mom and also I really enjoy cooking. I venture to say I’m even pretty good at it. Baking on the other hand, is not my forte. I like the idea of baking. I like the smell of sweets baking in the oven. I like to eat baked goods. So, what’s the problem? Dayven says it’s my lack of patience. Slightly true. And my inability to follow directions. Definitely true. I prefer to think of recipes as simply guidelines or suggestions. I always add a few ingredients and omit a few and I never measure. I think that is what makes a good cook – the ability to add lib – and that is how some of the best recipes are discovered. Unfortunately, baking doesn’t work this way.

Case in point, last week, I decided to make Dayven a loaf of pumpkin bread, one of his favorites. I looked up the recipe in one of my cookbooks and followed it to the letter, adding a tablespoon of baking powder or did it say a teaspoon of baking soda? No matter, how different could they really be? As I was examining the flat, dense orange brick in my bread pan an hour later, I realized there may be something to this directions thing. Dayven just chuckled as I tossed the whole thing in the trash.

Yesterday, I decided give it another go, hoping to redeem myself and try to salvage any culinary pride I have left. While Wyatt was napping, I whipped up a batch of Nanaimo Bars (rich, creamy custard brownies - a Canadian favorite). I’m proud to say, they turned out great. Ok, so I admit, it was package mix from a box, but still, they were good. Baby steps…

No comments: