Friday, July 27, 2012

The transition...

Well, it was a rough start. The first couple of days were brutal - trying to get the kids into some sort of routine, attempting to set up our rental with some necessities, getting lost in traffic, in construction with all three kids screaming, crying or singing at the top of their lungs in the backseat. The kids were bored to tears, with zero toys and it poured rain for days so we couldn't even play outside. Hadley entertained herself by making messes and getting into things she wasn't supposed to. She made a huge sudsy mess by emptying an entire container of liquid soap onto the bathroom floor. It's still sticky in there. Wyatt was not on his best behavior either - picking fights with his sister, whining and seeking attention, even the negative kind. Summer is hard anyway because it lacks the structure and predictability he craves, but having his life turned upside down with this move just put him over the edge. They were both just bored, stressed, confused, who knows, a combination probably. I could not even bear to blog because my nerves were so raw and I didn't think I'd have many nice things to say. I was not a good mom the first week. I lost my patience and snapped at my mom and the kids more than once. I've had some time to calm down, reflect and realize that the kids were just as out of sorts as I was and unsure how to express their feelings. I am so grateful for my mom's help. I don't know how I would have made it through the transition without her. I just hope we didn't scare her off of future visits with all the craziness!


It got much better after the first week. We're getting a routine going now. All the boxes are unpacked and this place is really shaping up. The kids were thrilled to be reunited with what few toys I had packed for the moving truck. I think we're going to be ok here for a few months, no problem. It's a really nice area. We did manage to have some fun while my mom was here so her trip wasn't all work. She took Hadley to the Build-a-Bear workshop for an early birthday present. Hadley was a little overwhelmed by all the choices but we helped her and she ended up with a darling girly piggy with a sparkly outfit and all the matching accessories. She named her "Pretty Girl Piggy" and she's joined the rest of Hadley's "aminals" in bed with her every night. We took the kids swimming at the community pool and playground and went biking around the neighborhood. We miss our friends back in Canada - when I told the kids we were going swimming they asked if Ella (our neighbor friend in Canada) would be there! So far the people here have been really friendly and I know eventually we'll make new friends. We're looking forward to making this our new home.


2 comments:

Winona said...

So glad you are starting to get settled but then will come the next move and it will be all to do over again! My heart goes out to you. Hadley's pink cowgirl boots are so cute. Can't say too much about the piggy bear but if she likes it that is what counts!! With kids you'll make friends pretty fast. We leave the 3rd for Amsterdam for 17 days. Looking forward that that.

Marta said...

Oh...the fun of moves ;-) I'm impressed your even getting blogs in. I would do a temporary shut down if it was me! I'm loving the updates though and all the pics. Tate is growing up so fast. I can't wait to see the new place! Hope things are running smoothly with the construction.