Sunday, July 15, 2012

One more 'double double' for the road...

I can't believe this is really it. The day has come. When we first moved here, I dreamed about this day. I didn't make much effort to hide the fact that I wasn't wild about this place. We arrived at the end of October, just in time for the first snow and we didn't see the grass again until May. Dayven traveled a lot, I was home alone with a toddler, homesick and very lonely. But over time I made friends, became more involved in the community and developed a life here.

There has been a lot of emotional, spiritual and personal growth here for us. We've had some incredible memories. I was thinking back over the past five years - all the family and friends that have visited, the BBQs in the backyard, bike rides around the cul-de-sac, trips to the playground, adventures around town, lazy afternoons in the baby pool on the deck, walks to the park, little toes scrubbed in the tub, dance parties before bedtime. We've had some major milestones as well - babies brought home from the hospital, first steps, the first day of school, first day on the bus. We've endured some very long cold winters, the loss of beloved family members and other heartaches, but mostly our memories here are good. A lot of laughter has been shared in this home.

There are many things I will miss about Canada. I'm not even sure what they are yet. There is probably some food item or beauty product I've gotten to know and love that isn't available in the states. I'm already smuggling in shampoo and medications for friends and family. But what I'll really miss most is the people. Canadians have a gentle kindness about them. There's no real sense or urgency or rush at all. It was something that drove me nuts in the beginning, especially the customer service. Isn't anyone in a hurry at all? Can't they see I am? But I came to realize we all really need to slow down a little. What's the rush anyway?  Canadians have a quiet loyalty about them as well. Once you get to know them, you have a friend for life. I hope I take some of these traits with me.

We're excited for the next chapter, but we really will miss Canada so much. We will take so many wonderful friendships and memories with us that will last a lifetime. We're even taking two Canadian souveniors/citizens home with us!

Until we meet again Canada.....eh?

No comments: