Friday, July 29, 2011

Twenty seven degrees and lovin' it!

That was the high on the hottest day this week. That's 80 degrees Fahrenheit! Hardly the heat wave temps those of you in the US are seeing, but to us that's a pretty hot day. We've been soaking it up - playing outside, swimming with our neighbor friends in their pool and riding bikes around the crescent. Our friends live just across the street and have two kids similar in age and she's pregnant with her third as well. We're usually out at the same time and the bicycle brigade hits the trail! We'll be wearing ruts in the sidewalk before the summer is out I'm sure. The kids do the same track over and over. I'm afraid someone will back out of their garage and not pay attention so I follow behind pretty closely to keep watch. It's hard work chasing them around, so when the dads get home from work, we let them take over while we take a break and chat. Friday night they performed their duty with beers in hand. Quite a sight!

Wyatt attended a little day camp this week, located at a park not far from our house. It was a fine motor camp, working on pre-writing skills for Kindergarten. It's an area Wyatt struggles in so it was good for him. They had plenty of fun activities for the kids outdoors, interspersed with some writing skills too so he barely knew he was "working". There wasn't time for Hadley and I to do much while he was there, so one day we headed over the nearest school playground to meet up with some friends. Another day we walked the trail in the wagon. We strolled through the botanical gardens and took in the beauty of all the vegetation. It is so peaceful there, with a tranquil fountain and gorgeous flowers blooming in every color imaginable. Hadley loved just wandering around, stopping to sniff the flowers and comment on how pretty they were. The workers got a kick out of her. Of course, I turned it into a photo shoot!
 
 
 


























































It was also a busy week of social plans with friends. We had all but given up on the search for good Mexican food in Edmonton, beginning to think it didn't exist north of the border. We were tired of the impostor Tex-Mex that seems to be popular here and just added it to our list of things to partake in while on home leave. I had heard about a new place, Tres Carnales Tacquiria, that was supposed to be good so we decided to give it a try for our girls' night. It did not disappoint. Delicious fish tacos that reminded me of our favorite place back in Nashville. Yum... I'll be taking Davyen back there for sure. It was such a nice night, after dinner, we walked the three blocks to Churchill Square to check out the Taste of Edmonton and enjoy a gelato.

I continued my weekly lunch date with girlfriends. I'm not sure how the tradition started, but it's really been a nice treat this summer. One afternoon a week, we all get sitters for a couple of hours and enjoy a nice relaxing lunch with grown up conversation (this means we can actually finish a thought and a sentence without an interruption). We're enjoying it for a few more weeks as I'm they'll become more sporadic once school starts back up. Lovin' our short, but sweet summer!

No comments: