Saturday, July 09, 2011

Summertime Rolls...

In an effort to keep these monkeys entertained and out of trouble, we are continuing our regular summertime outings.

The weather was so beautiful this week, we headed to a playground/splash pad not far from our house that had just undergone a $2.4 million renovation. It didn't disappoint. They had an electronic splash pad with musical "instruments" that make sounds while squirting water, a sand and water pit and several different playground areas. We packed a picnic lunch and met up with some friends. The kids played hard for a couple of hours until they were all played out. The weather was "scorching" by Canadian standards (about 80F), but we loved it. Between day camps and other picnickers with the same idea as us, it was pretty crowded. I had a hard time keeping track of two kids with two different agendas.  Hadley is so independent and continued to prove she is just as brave and strong as the big boys. She had no trouble keeping up, but she was wiped by the end. She fell asleep in the car on the way home.



























































 





































Wyatt and I attended the birthday party for a school friend, Peyton, while Hadley stayed home with a sitter. It was held at a birthday party rental place with a giant bouncy house. Seems to be the popular theme these days. The kids all seemed to have fun and Wyatt bounced his little heart out until it was time to go home.

After some gorgeous weather, it poured for two days straight so we were forced back inside. Friday Wyatt and I met up with my friend Christine and her son, Drew, to go swimming at the indoor pool at our gym. I can't handle both kids in the pool so I had to leave Hadley in the daycare while we swam for an hour. Afterward, we picked up Hadley and went to blow off a little steam at the indoor playground, then headed home for lunch and nap. That afternoon, Christine and I had our sitters come so we could sneak away for a lunch date. It's hard to chat much when we're busy chasing our kids around the pool. We holed up in a cozy little coffee shop, munching on paninis and soup and sipping hot coffee drinks. Such a treat to have two whole hours of uninterrupted conversation. The perfect way to spend a rainy afternoon! Friday night I headed to a friend's house for a dessert night with some girlfriends. She hosts them periodically where she just makes some yummy desserts and drinks and everyone heads over after they put their kids to bed and enjoy some time chatting. By the end of the night, I was wiped so I headed home to hit the hay. 

Saturday we took the kids to West Ed Mall. It's our go to Saturday activity when it's really rainy or snowy and we can tell the kids need to get out of the house. We decided to check out Galaxyland, the indoor amusement park. It has this strange 1960's psychedelic vibe, but the kids always seem to love running around checking out all the action. Most of the rides are for bigger kids, but there are a few smaller ones that the kids enjoyed. Hadley was so silly riding the rides. She enthusiastically waved and yelled "Hi Mommy! Hi Mommy!" each time she went around. We took them to Playland, multi-level playground with a series of tunnels, ramps, slides and ball pits. Sadly, I forgot my camera. Dayven said "Seriously, can't we just enjoy a day with NO pictures!?" I think you know the answer to that... I found this one on the web. I was glad I had Dayven with me since both of us spent the whole time following a kid. Hadley is fearless and went all the way to the top. She and I did every tunnel slide together and she loved them all. Wyatt needed a little more coaxing, but he did it in the end. After an hour of crawling around on our knees through tunnels, squishing our butts down slides, and hoisting kids out of ball pits, we were tired, sweaty and ready to head home.

No comments: