Monday, March 16, 2009

Is Winter EVER going to end??

It was this same time last year that I began to wonder if we'd ever see grass again, if our toes would ever feel the bare air, our skin the warmth of sunshine. Given the fact that we still had snow on the ground at the end of April last year, I'm guessing we won't have warm weather anytime soon. We've been doing our best to stave off winter boredom - playing around the house, having coffee dates with friends, "working out" in my secret spot at the gym. shhhh...don't tell!

As promised, the Cat equipment showed up to clear our streets. A 140H Motor Grader actually. Those of you familiar with Cat equipment know it's a good sized grader. Skid Steer Loaders and Bobcats did the cleanup and wheel loaders load the snow into trucks to be hauled away. As I watched the grader clearing the sides, I couldn't help but wonder if they took the first layer of grass with them. We were actually able to see concrete for the first time in months! Sure enough, it snowed the next day.

At the recommendation of my mom, I hired a sitter on Friday so I could get out and have a little "me time". I met my friend Andrea for lunch at our local Indian restaurant. It was such a treat to have a relaxing meal where I could actually enjoy the conversation and not have to say 17 times - "turn around, sit down and eat!" We talked and laughed and ate for almost two hours! I spent the rest of my time shopping for some new maternity clothes and browsing books at the library.

We had a fun night with our Cat friends on Friday night, although we had to say goodbye to one family who is moving to Switzerland. We ordered pizzas and had a great time hanging out. Wyatt always has fun with his buddies, especially "yittle Josh", as he calls him (not to be confused with Uncle Josh, who is not little). It's always fun to go to someone else's house and play with their toys, especially when they have a bouncy house in their basement! The wives went home and put the kiddos to bed, but the guys continued the festivities. They polished off a bottle of Bundy Black - you Aussies know what I'm talking about (the general consensus was it tasted like Coke and cigarettes) - and who knows what else. Dayven was dragging on Saturday morning. Wyatt asked where Daddy was at breakfast. I told him that Daddy drank too much booze last night, stayed up WAY past his bedtime and was still in bed. I took a small amount of pleasure in watching him pad off upstairs in search of Daddy. He came back down and announced "Daddy seeping". Not for long... I think it was the heavy breathing of both Finley and Wyatt by his bedside that woke him. Dayven used to say (or was it you, mom?) "I have no sympathy for you when the illness is self-inflicted". Despite his sluggishness, he still rallied and took his little guy for a swim at the pool, as promised, so I could run a few more errands.

Here's a video recap of what we've been doing the past few days. The song has nothing to do with any theme. It's just Wyatt's favorite song right now (Take the Money and Run - Steve Miller Band). He calls it the "hoo hoo song" and every day he asks me to play it. OK by me, anything is better than Elmopalooza. Since he will undoubtedly watch this video over and over, I figured I had better let him pick the music...

2 comments:

Marta said...

no it's never going to end...i give up!! April 9th (peoria) can not come soon enough!

Anonymous said...

That bouncy house looks like so much fun for the kids. What you need is another Florida trip and when you come back maybe, just maybe the snow will be melted!!I keep telling you what a wonderful winter we have had but I know you don't want to hear it!! It is like we are living in Arizona.