Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas!

The festivities started bright and early at our house this morning. Wyatt is good about following the rules so we knew he was waiting in bed until his clock turned green. We knew he was awake in there so Dayven went in and got him at 6:40am while I went to check on Hadley. Wyatt was up and ready to hit it before I could get Hadley ready. She could hear all his excited comments from downstairs and it was driving her nuts. As I was trying to get her dressed and comb her hair, she was yelling "THOSE ARE MY PRESENTS, WYATT! DON'T! TOUCH! MY! PRESENTS!!"  She was terrified of missing out on the fun. She quickly raced down to join her brother.

They ran to check if the milk and cookies were gone. Hadley ate a few of the crumb that Santa had left. Then Dayven showed them the remnants the reindeer left behind, proof they'd actually been here.

They opened their stockings first, just like we did when we were kids. I'm pleased they really weren't ripping through them like I thought. They seemed genuinely excited to each other open their gifts and not at all comparing if one got more than another. They'd actually play with each one for a bit before moving on. At one point I actually had to prompt Hadley along because Wyatt was getting ahead of her. She probably would have been content to just stop there. The presents were all opened before the sun was even up and the kids loved everything. Every present Wyatt opened, he would exclaim "Oooooh! This is the BEST Christmas present EVER!" Such great enthusiasm. We enjoyed just watching their excitement while sipping our coffee, and virgin mimosas for me. As far as gifts for each other, Dayven and I usually just treat ourselves to something that we've had our eye on. For him, it was an ipad. For me, it was my mixer, which I opened early of course. The kids got him a movie and a new xbox game. They got me a cast iron skillet (ok, so I bought it for myself a month ago at Crate and Barrel, but they helped Dayven wrap it and stick it under the tree). The mystery present from Wyatt turned out to be pumpkin scented candles. He spotted them himself and told Dayven I would like them. Dayven helped select the scent. It was cute to see how excited he was to give them to me.







 
 





















We really didn't get the kids too much. I make a real effort to keep it low key each year. I'm amazed (and slightly disgusted) by all the heaping shopping carts I see this time of year. But I won't get on that soapbox. I make an extra effort to put in the details and little touches to make sure my kids' holiday is special. They learn about giving as well as receiving and they get to open fun things that make Christmas morning exciting. No need for heaps of presents, just a few special things we know they'd love.  They loved all the loot in their stockings and they each got a few other presents that were fun. Santa left a joint present of an inflatable bouncy house. We'd been talking about one for a while. We figured it's the perfect gift for those snowy afternoons when we're bored and house bound. They weren't expecting it at all, which was so fun. We set it up in the basement and they were bouncing their little hearts out all afternoon. Every time Hadley would come upstairs, Wyatt would come up to look for her. and ask her to go down and bounce with him. It's so sweet.

 
 

The kids were really appreciative and grateful for everything. It was really cute to watch them open their gift from each other. We had taken them separately to the store to pick something out for the other and they were so excited to watch them being opened. Wyatt got Hadley a collection of Strawberry Shortcake and her friends dolls. She was in heaven. "Thank you Wy! I love dem!" Wyatt got Hadley a Transformer foam dart gun (hopefully it won't be used against her later) and he played with it all afternoon. He said "Thanks for getting me dis gun, Hadley. You are soooo sweet!". ha! Warms my heart. Wyatt kept saying "I better tell Santa thank you for these presents". I told him not to worry, Santa knows...

We had prime rib for dinner. We always underestimate the amount of time it takes to cook, but it was worth the wait. It was excellent. Hadley was full from all her treats and picked at hers, but Wyatt gobbled up two helpings.

All in all, it was a great Christmas. We missed being with my parents and brother, celebrating together, but I took a bunch of video and uploaded it so they could be a part of our celebration.

The kids are in bed now, but not asleep. I can hear Wyatt up there singing Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer at max volume. After a month of anticipation and build up, it's hard for the kids to "turn it off" right away. Hadley even asked me if Santa was coming again tonight. I'll take the decorations down this weekend and we'll return all the Christmas books to the library and get new ones, which will help.

We have Dayven home from work for another week, which will be fun. I'm looking forward to putting my feet up tonight. No baking, no wrapping, nothing. I'm sure we'll all sleep like logs after our busy day...

Merry Christmas!! XOXO

3 comments:

Mizerany Family said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful day! Merry Christmas to you all!

Marta said...

Merry Christmas! Now that bouncy house looks like a lot of fun and a must when your stuck indoors up there!

Winona said...

The Bouncy house reminds me of Barbara Ann's B'day party. The boys had a rental one delivered to her house, which was a really good idea because it kept all the kids entertained all the time, AND, no one got hurt either. Glad you had such a good Christmas. We had a nice quiet one so I really enjoyed reading how much fun yours was.