

Once a week, the kids and I have a special little morning date. It's our little weekly ritual and we all look forward to it. First, we head to the library to pick up new books and play some games. We hang in the kids' section - Hadley and I look at books while Wyatt plays the computer games at the work stations. He is getting much better at games that require dragging and dropping things with a mouse. At school, his teacher uses a smart board to do the lessons and lets the kids join in and I think it's really helping him understand how computer programs work. Despite repeated discussions about using our "inside voice", he always seems to forget. We've been shushed a couple of times because Wyatt often forgets he's wearing headphones and his enthusiasm is unbridled. He loves to point out exactly what he's doing and explain what's happening on the screen to us in very loud detail. But all that aside, we're finally at the point where I do not dread the library. No more running off or pulling books off the shelf and not replacing them. I'm talking about Wyatt. Hadley, on the other hand, is a hooligan. She has a 10 second attention span on the computer and hops from one station to the next, demanding I help her start a new game. She pulls random books off the shelves and sticks them in our strollers, often from the French shelf. She climbs up on the wooden fire truck and peers through the window yelling "Ta-DA!", then waits for a response. I looked over at one point and she was literally climbing the bookshelf trying to reach a book at the top. I am usually sweating by the time we leave, so I guess we're not really at the point where it's relaxing.
After the library, we always head to Grapevine Deli, our favorite spot for lunch treats. Wyatt loves going there and heaven help us if we ever try to skip this stop. I have tried going somewhere else and he says "No mommy! We HAVE to go to Grapevine!" He loves many of their items, but his all time favorite is their pasta salad. All the workers know him by name. When we walk in, whoever is standing at the counter will yell to the people in back "Wyatt's here! Here comes our 'Pasta Man'!" and they all come out to say hello. He walks right up to the counter and asks "Do you have any pasta salad?" They told me they love to see Wyatt come in and his enthusiasm just makes their day. He loves the attention and the fact that they call him the Pasta Man. He smiles and proudly turns to me and says "Mommy, I'm the Pasta Man!" He often use his own version of the nickname later at home. He loves to tell me, "I am a Tomato Monster! .......noooo, I'm da Tomato Man!" (He is addicted to tomatoes and will eat the entire container if I don't watch him). There are many variations of this, just insert favorite food (Macaroni and Cheese Man, Sausage Monster, you get the idea). He is very proud of these self-proclaimed titles.
We top our day off with a visit to the Candy Shoppe next door where we pick out some special treats. Even Hadley has come to expect it now and says "I want speshul teet!" A girl after my own heart! Against my better judgment, I decided to let her have a lollipop just like her brother (because she can't stand it when he gets something she doesn't). I looked in the rear view mirror a couple of blocks later and noticed it hanging from a large patch of hair on the side of her head. It took some scrubbing, but at least I didn't have to cut any of her hair out. The things some people go through for a sweet treat!



No comments:
Post a Comment