Friday, May 06, 2011

Things kids say and stuff...

At the risk of completely boring you, I have got to document just a few more of the utterings that come out of my kids' mouths. Some make me smile, some do not, but all worthy of noting because they all offer a little insight into their personalities and the silly things that make them who they are.

Hadley continues to assert her independence and her little personality just keeps growing. The other day, I went to get her dressed and she didn't like the choice I had selected. She said "Mommy, I want owl shirt". I tried to play it off, "Yes, that's a cute shirt. Now put your dress on". She wasn't having it. "No! Owl Shirt!!" Seriously, I had no idea the fashion opinions would start coming so soon.

When I ask her to do something she doesn't want to do, she says "I want speshul teet!" The kid has figured out my bribery tactics and she wants in on the action. I'm in trouble now. Other times, she just says politely, "No tank you, Mommy." I appreciate her manners so much I often leave it at that.

She has our routine down pat. If I miss a step, she is right there to remind me. When I try to brush her teeth with just water, she says "No mommy. I need too-pase". When I'm putting her pajamas on after her bath, she says "Baby wotion, Mommy. Appie-kots [apricots] wotion!" She loves the apricot baby oil I use on her.

One of my favorite things she says right now is this little exchange we have every morning when I lift her from her crib...
ME: "Good morning sweet baby!"
HADLEY: (In her sweet little voice) "Good morning sweet mommy!"
Melts. my. heart.

Other versions...
ME: "Hi Baby Girl!"
HADLEY: "Hi Baby Mommy!....... Hower you?"

She greets her brother too when he comes into her room in the morning, "Oh. Hi Wyatt. How you sweep?" (How did you sleep?). He always replies with a simple "Good". It's all just about the cutest thing ever from my sweet girl. I could just eat her up!

Wyatt's working on his social skills too. When we're going to see his friends, he talks about what he'll say in the car on the way. "Mommy, maybe I should say 'what's up guys?' when I see dem..........Yeah, dat's what I'll say". He really does say it too. Cracks me up when 10 minutes later, this is exactly how he greets his friends. It's like a little mini conversation rehearsal.

Sometimes Wyatt is about the sweetest kid on the planet, but sometimes he has the attitude of a teenage girl and I can hardly take it. He'll grit his teeth and say in a gruff voice. "NO!!! I am NOT going to do it!!" I have been correcting his attitude and tone of voice so often lately, he's now just doing it himself. He'll wait half a beat, then say "ooooo-kaaaaay.....I'll say it in a nice voice...... (Sweet voice) "No, fank you. Mommy. I don't want to do it." If I get upset and yell at the kids for something, Wyatt will ask "Mommy, can you please say it in a nice voice??" It's a good reminder I should practice what I preach.

The other day he even scolded Hadley. I'm not sure what went down since I didn't see it, but we were playing out in the yard when Wyatt burst into tears. He was clutching his face and making a big deal. He pointed his finger at her and yelled "AAAGH! HAD-WEEEEE! Dat's it. You are going on a TIME OUT!!!" It was hard not to laugh, but I made her apologize, just to be fair. I'm still not sure exactly what happened but I think it was some erratic swinging of the golf club.

I recently took both kids with me to the grocery store at 4pm (I know, I plead temporary insanity). The aisles were crowded, the check-outs were backed up, the kids were starving and my purse was out of snacks. Hadley was crying because she didn't want to ride in the cart, she wanted to walk like her brother. After a particularly long bout of intermittent whimpering, yelling and wailing (which I was doing my best to ignore), Wyatt piped up "Had-wee, I have had enough! Dere's nothing to cry about. Just stop dat crying RIGHT NOW!" He has probably heard that a time or two in his lifetime. It worked temporarily.

If she's whining about something, like she did the other day at lunch, he'll say in an exasperated voice "Ok. Ok. Dat's enough whining, Hadwee. Just eat your wunch...." I find it amusing that this tiny bit of whining is annoying to him when I feel there days I listen to it all day long.

They really do get along great together and Wyatt tells me often that Hadley is his best friend. There are plenty of kerfuffles too, but mostly they're buddies. They love to wrestle and chase each other. When we pick Wyatt up from school, they love running around in the grass in front of the school yard. They do the loop, down the ramp and then back up the grassy hill, giggling the whole time, until finally I make them get in the car to go home. They take a bath together every night. Sometimes we'll try to have Hadley skip a night if she hasn't really left the house much that day, but she is insistent on bathing with Wyatt. "I tub too! I tub too, Mommy!"  She always wants to be right where he is and if she's napping or in another room, he will ask where she is and go look for her. I hope the friendship continues as they age. It really does melt my heart to see how much they love each other.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So adorable! I would just love to see them in action together - quite the darling pair! XO Betsy

The Vlachs said...

So sweet, Chelsea! You do such a great job of capturing it all in their voice on the blog!