Sunday, February 13, 2011

Hey now, hey now......my hubby's back!

When sick, copious amounts of cartoons usually help.
Between weekend get-a-ways and Dayven's travel schedule for work, it seems we've barely seen each other these past few weeks. Two ships passing in the night and all that. The weeks go by slowly when he's gone. Our babysitter has been coming so often lately that Hadley now points at the front door and says "Sawah! Sawah!"

This week, both kids had mild congestion and runny noses, and I've had a screamer of a headache that has lasted for days (I love you, Excedrin), so none of us slept that great. One night in particular, both kids were up coughing or requesting water at regular intervals. It seemed every hour I was going back down the hall to investigate.

I'm actually glad they did wake me up, because if I had kept sleeping, I would not have heard the dripping noise. The one coming from the kids' bathroom. uh-huh. Not good. I walked into the bathroom and my socks instantly felt soggy. There was at least an inch of water in the bathroom and an active spill coming over the brim of the toilet. I frantically turned off the water supply under the toilet and tried to think. This is the part where I would have called for Dayven, had he been in town. The toilet hasn't worked quite right ever since the tile was installed in that bathroom and even one square too much will push it to limit. I silently cursed myself for not looking into getting it fixed sooner. I raced downstairs to get more towels to contain the mess, when I heard MORE dripping. The water had traveled through the ceiling and was dripping through the can light and filling up our leather chair. Seriously. ALL AT 1AM!!

I was in the middle of all this when Hadley launched herself out of bed and faceplanted down the stairs. I heard the first thunk and some muffled whimpers. It took me a second to realize what it was. By the time I raced to the bottom of the stairs, I saw her tumbling down. She stopped about midway, face down and head first. Thank goodness they are carpeted. Wouldn't you know it, my tough little cookie barely cried! Either that or she was sleep walking. I brought her downstairs with me so I could finish cleaning up. She was so confused about what time it was and what was going on. She went to the door leading to the garage and put her boots on (the wrong feet) over her pajamas and started pounding on the door "Go! Wywy! Wywy!" I think she thought she had just woken from a nap and it was time to get Wyatt from school.

I used pretty much every towel in this house to clean the damage. The pile of towels was so large I could barely reach the washing machine. As far as I can tell, there's no major damage. I scrubbed every surface from top to bottom to rid the germs and stinkies.

But all that's behind us now. Dayven's back home now and his trip next week was cancelled so we get him for another week! It was so great to have the weekend together. We went out for Thai food on Saturday night (delicious!!) and just lounged on Sunday - French toast, coffee and PJs until 11am. My kind of weekend!


I bought the kids a beanbag, but it turns out the box it came in is way more fun than the actual beanbag. 
This thing has a door!?
AND a window!??
Loving the house...

NOT loving the house!!

2 comments:

Winona said...

Your kids are just like our cat. She loves any kind of box also. That box made a wonderful little house for them to play in. You never did show us the beanbag though?? Our kids each had one, I wonder if they are coming back? We could not even give ours away at a garage sale. Still in good shape also.

Chelsea said...

Oh, my kids LOVE beanbags. We now have two of them. They love to bury themselves in them and watch TV. They drag them from room to room to sit in them. They are still pretty basic. Haven't changed much over the years!