Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween!


Another Halloween has come and gone and I have to say I'm not sad to see it go. We've been having discussions, singing songs, reading books, all in the theme for the entire month of October. The festivities dragged on for at least the past 5 days, between school parties, baking, pumpkin carving, get togethers and of course, trick or treating!

We attended a family costume party at the home of some friends on Saturday night. There were plenty of creatively spooky and fun costumes and we had a great time whooping it up with friends. It's always fun to see what everyone comes up with.
I made Halloween treats for the party - Mummies, Monsters and Spooky Spiders
Cowboy Woody and Jesse, the Yodeling Cowgirl from Toy Story
Curious George and the Man in the Yellow Hat



George started getting pretty sweaty in her suit so we let her wear her PJs
The girls all decked out at the costume party!
This is what happens when you leave the men in charge to watch the kids...
They party in full swing...
Our hosts, Brian and Shona, are newlyweds so we thought they better hold a kid to see how it felt. Hadley didn't understand what was going on. It was even funnier when she started crying.
The boys (+ Hadley)

Sunday night, we took the kids trick or treating (or "Halloweening" as it's called here) at a few of the houses on our street. Wyatt was pretty enthusiastic until a bigger kid dressed as the Grim Reaper came lurching by. Then he announced he was done and ready to go home. It doesn't take much to scare him. In fact, he's a little on edge the entire holiday. Hadley seemed to enjoy it and quickly got the hang of how it goes down. After the first house, she held her pumpkin out for the treats to be deposited, then happily took off for the next house.  At her age, no one expects you to do anything but stand there and look cute.

Dayven and I took turns manning the door and alternately putting kids to bed. We had a decent amount of kids show up. By the end, I was shoving handfuls in their bags just to get rid of the stuff. I was surprised by how many teenagers came by. I guess it's still cool? They were all decked out so I can appreciate the effort. We finally blew out the pumpkins and turned off the lights at 8:30 and called it a night...
Time for some trick or treating!
The Man carried George until she got too heavy, then she was on her own...
Hitting a few houses with some friends...
You mean the candy is free!? He's off to the next house....
Hadley is starting to figure out how it works...
I'm outta here! NEXT!!
She even carried her own pumpkin...
Comparing treats with some neighbor friends...
The first thing they did when we got home is dump their buckets so they could check out their loot!
Sweet, a juice box!

 Every year we come up with a new design. The design evolves as it goes, sometimes due to slip of the knife (the bottom one lost a tooth mid carve) or a miscalculation, but they always turn out good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You all looked FANTASTIC - love how you and Dayven get into the spirit as well!!! You need to enter a contest for your pumpkins - major talent and creativity!! Love, Betsy

Mizerany Family said...

It looks like you all had fun at your costume party. I miss dressing up, even though I am not that creative.

The Vlachs said...

Love the costumes! You're really really good at the cake/cupcake thing, Chelsea! (I don't think any class could really help me that much....). Love, Meg