Monday, October 11, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends!

Yes, we celebrate Thanksgiving in October here. It has never felt quite like the real holiday to us, but we still celebrate because we have many, many reasons to be thankful. I do enjoy that it's still Fall here and it feels like a celebration of harvest, rather than the start of the Christmas season, like it is in the states. Dayven doesn't like that it's on a Monday and there's no football. Either way, we noshed on a feast. We did a roast chicken instead of turkey. We had a couple in our freezer from our chicken farmer and they're just as big as turkeys anyway. I made all the fixin's - cornbread stuffing, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie. I decided it was a lot of cooking for just the four of us and omitted the sweet potatoes in an effort to save time. I really missed them so I'll be adding them back in next year. Our little carb lover picked her way through the stuffing and managed to only eat the cornbread, leaving the protein and veggies (onion and celery) behind. Sadly, dessert was a bust. I accidentally grabbed the can of evaporated milk instead of sweetened condensed milk when making the pumpkin pie so there was zero sugar in my pie. I know, a rookie mistake and one I normally wouldn't make. I tried to salvage it by making my whipped cream extra sweet, but it didn't work. It was like pumpkin quiche. Totally NOT worth the calories. I was so disappointed, I decided I'm going to make a pecan pie later in the week.

We went to the playground to take advantage of the nice weather while our bird was roasting. Here's a little video of my sliding monkeys. Please excuse the poor sound quality. It was pretty windy. 

2 comments:

Winona said...

Oh, that made me sick to think the pumpkin pie was no good. I've done the same thing in a hurry grabbed a can of something and then opening it and finding it was not what I wanted. It is so nerve wracking to do that. That little Hadley is a brave thing and she seems so much older than she is but I guess 2nd kids always are that way.

Marta said...

Happy Thanksgiving! We have to wait another stinkin month...I gotta say I prefer the Canadian thanksgiving date over the one here in the states...it's just way to close to Christmas!