Monday, September 06, 2010





It's that time of year again. The last warm days of summer are behind us and the air is beginning to take on that crisp cool feeling that let's you know Fall is just around the corner.

Our apple trees are exploding with apples. It may be our most fruitful year, if only we could figure out a decent collection method. Every morning our yard looks like it rained apples the night before. We've been outside -madly picking, collecting and eating. The kids are pretty good at helping, although they are eating them as fast as I can collect them. Hadley loves them just as much as her brother, but she eats from one side straight through to the other - core, stem, seeds and all!

We've had a few final playdates in the park to soak up what's left, but I think Summer is now officially over. 


















 
He pelts us with his soaker gun as we're collecting...

I love this time of year because it means enjoying the delectable fruits of your harvest. My tomato plants did terrible this year, but the zucchini is doing pretty good. Our neighbors have been sharing all sorts of wonderful goodies from their garden. We've had Kale, Spinach, fresh herbs and more. My friend Joyce just calls me when she has a bag ready and then she flings it over the fence!

Swiss Chard, gargantuan potatoes, cucumbers and mutant carrots from my friend Joyce. DELISH!
Fresh peaches and blackberries from the orchards in B.C.
Only one thing to do with those peaches....Sour Cream Peach Pie!

2 comments:

ebbandflow said...

Yum! That all looks great. I'm so sorry you have that feeling that summer is over. We are just getting the sweet smell of Spring over here and I can tell you, it's certainly welcome! Enjoy the apples, they look delicious.

Karen, Luke, Emmett and Jolene Anderson said...

I want that peach recipe!!!!