Friday, July 23, 2010

Who are these moms who say "I LOVE summer! I can't wait until school is out"? Seriously? Don't get me wrong, I love summer too and I do love spending time my kids, but when school is out, that means that I have to find an outlet for these kids every day to stave off boredom or else trouble ensues. The school year goes through the end of June here, which is nice, but we still have a full two months off so I have to keep the good times rolling. It's a little tricky with Hadley's two-naps-a-day habit cramping our style, but we try to squeeze in some fun when we can.

Wyatt took part in a little day camp, at the park near our house. He was NOT at all excited the first day and grumbled the whole way from the parking lot. When one of the instructors introduced herself and told him it was time for circle, he told her to mind her own business and leave him alone. I was mortified and apologized profusely, but she reassured me it was fine and my kid wasn't a total delinquent. By day two, he was loving it and announced first thing in the morning it was time for camp! When I picked him up and asked how his day was, he said "GREAT! Mommy, we played a drinking game!" I told him maybe he could teach Daddy and me how to play. Obviously, we're getting our money's worth at camp.

We've been doing little outings here and there - playground playdates with friends when the weather is nice and trips to the library when it's not.




















Hadley is cruising all over the place now. She's such a big girl, she refuses to crawl any more. She's still a little wobbly, but she's getting faster and is looking less like Frankenstein all the time. She continues to fall like crazy and her poor forehead is a rainbow of bruises, but she's tough. She came down with a case of Roseola, the baby measles, last week so she was down and out for a few days, but she's back to her happy self now.

Dayven is keeping busy with work and squeezing in some fun too. He's taken his dirt bike out a couple of times and even hit the trails one night on his mountain bike. He had a stag party/paint ball outing this week with some friends and even knocked off early today to go golfing. He's making the most of his summer.

I had a garage sale with some friends last weekend and it was quite an interesting experience. We decided that probably an entire book could be written on the psychology of garage sales. Despite the fact that the sign said the sale started at 4pm, people began ringing our doorbell and knocking on the garage door at 9am that morning. There were plenty of looky-loos and cars doing slow drive bys, and when we finally opened the doors at 3:30pm, there was a line of people waiting outside the garage. People are nuts! All in all, the sale was a success. We made some "fun money" (more than I thought we would), we cleaned out some crap and had fun in the process. I'm still undecided on whether or not this was my last sale...

I've been getting back into running and even signed up for a 5K race at the end of August to motivate me a little. Running during the day is nearly impossible with the kids, so the only time I can really run is on the weekend or in the morning before Dayven leaves for work. He's quite the early bird and leaves the house at 6am which means I have to get up at 5am to go running. Let me tell you, I am NOT excited to get up at 5am (especially since my kids sleep until 7), let alone run at 5am, but I'm trying...

Wyatt and Dayven are off to the Indy Car Races tomorrow for a fun Boys' Day Out.  Dayven told him the race will be just like when Lightening McQueen won the Piston Cup so I'm sure he'll love it.

3 comments:

Winona said...

Hadley has the nicest smile. She sure mastered walking pretty quickly it seems.I can't imagine starting a garage sale at 4 p.m. that is the time we close up our garage sale!! Good for you getting back to your running.

Mizerany Family said...

Seems like you are passing the days by alright. I feel your pain though...pressure is on for the 3 MONTHS that my kids are off. Thank goodness for playdates and my in-laws!

The Vlachs said...

Poor Hadley! So sorry to hear she was sick. Good for you for getting out there and running! I hear you on the two naps.... I'm clinging to it and eager for it to end at the same time :)