Friday, February 05, 2010

With freedom comes responsibility.

This is a concept that's almost impossible to comprehend when you're three years old. Wyatt sleeps in what we refer to as a 'big boy bed", which is really just a crib, with a toddler rail on the front so he has the freedom to climb in and out on his own...as he pleases. I was so smug about this when we first put the rail on. We'd braced ourselves for trouble based on friends' warnings, but Dayven and I couldn't believe how well he adjusted to his new freedom. He quietly climbed into bed each night like he was told and slept there calmly all night. He peeked out a few times, but quickly slammed the door shut and jumped back in bed when he heard us coming. He never had the nerve to leave his room. As time went on, he got a little braver and started venturing further and further out. Although for the most part, he does as he's told and stays put, he gets adventurous every now and then and gets himself into trouble. 

Things Wyatt has been caught doing when he should be sleeping...

Puttering around in his room by the light of his turtle stars nightlight (if the timer has already turned off, he just turns it back on so he can see what he's doing).

Dumping every last book onto the floor, even tearing out a few pages of one of them. More than once, I have gone into his room to find him sitting in the middle of a sea of books.

Sneaking into Hadley's room to dump an armload of robots in her crib. Incidentally, she was sleeping in it at the time, although not for long. Imagine waking up from a peaceful slumber to find you are being attacked by an army of robots.

Peering out the window and remarking on all the snow outside (at 11pm)

Dumping an entire basket of Thomas trains in the toy room (in the dark). CRASH!! When I stage whispered, what in the world are you doing!? He calmly replied "I'm tryin' to find Gordon."

Banging around in the bathroom, rummaging in drawers. "I just gotta brush my teeth, mommy. I'm tryin' to find toothpaste."

Smearing Butt Paste (a zinc oxide based diaper cream) all over his face, shirt and pants. Despite repeated soakings, the shirt and pants are now ruined.

Lurking around in the hallway (at 4am). I have no idea what mischief he had planned, but thankfully I woke up and caught him. He panicked when he saw me and hightailed it back to his room, flinging open the door and diving into bed.

Like most childhood phases, I'm sure "this too, shall pass". Luckily, he's pretty trustworthy so I don't have to worry about him burning down the house or roaming around the neighborhood.

3 comments:

Winona said...

Now days kids get their own room and big bed pretty quickly. My mom took a picture of me still sleeping in my baby bed at age 6!! I am 8 yrs. older than my sister so no one pushed me out. this bed is the very unsafe iron one where the up and down pieces are to far apart. The picture had my legs hanging out between the up and downs. All of us 3 kids were raised in that bed, my 2 kids, my sister's 2 kids and my brother's 2 kids, then the bed became unsafe so my sister in law had it bronzed and she has it full of stuffed animals in her hall up stairs. It really is an antique.

Mizerany Family said...

His fun escapades don't sound too bad. Although I don't know how I would handle some of those same situations with Bennett. Thankfully she isn't brave enough to get off her "big girl bed" by herself in the dark yet.

The Vlachs said...

Hilarious!! I absolutely laughed out loud. We've had a similar experience, though the scariest was when Rob woke up to Madeline unlocking the front door in the middle of the night and trying to go outside.... YIKES! We say it's like she's a freshman in college... :)