Friday, December 04, 2009

Throwing rocks!

Dayven and his coworkers spent an afternoon trying out the winter sport of curling, or "throwing rocks" as it's referred to. The game is somewhat like shuffleboard in that you're trying to get the stone as close to the target as possible. It's played with two teams of four players each on ice. You wear regular shoes, but apply a slide to the toe to give them some traction on the ice.  Teams take turns sliding heavy, polished granite stones (called "rocks") down the ice towards the target (called the "house"). Two sweepers with brooms accompany each rock and get pointers from their teammates (called "spotters") to help them direct the stones to their resting place. 




















My mom arrived yesterday for a visit, just in time for our little blizzard. It's been snowing for almost 24 hours straight and we're expecting close to a foot total. Welcome to Canadian winter, Nana!

1 comment:

Winona said...

We've been having below zero weather plus snow. It seems we are having your weather now. I had my 75th birthday this wk. I sure enjoyed it. heard from so many friends and family. I love birthdays.