Wednesday, December 23, 2009

It's the most wonderful time of the year...

About this time, everyone is hustling around town, searching for that last minute gift, fist fighting over the last "gotta have it" toy of the season, waiting in insane lineups at the store, slowly driving through parking lots, stalking anyone who appears to be walking in the vicinity of their car in hopes of snagging their spot, loading their grocery carts with ham, fruitcake and eggnog, but not us. Since we're staying put for the holidays, it's actually quite low key and stress free. We're not really exchanging with anyone and we don't have to split our time between relatives or stuff the kids into their holiday finest and shuffle them off to parties. It's actually quite nice to have NOTHING to do.

We did brave Toys r Us this week to pick up something special that Wyatt has been asking for. I thought it was really sweet that Dayven wanted to pick it out himself. It was a good thing too since I know nothing about T-R-A-N-S-F-O-R-M-E-R-S (I'm not sure why I'm spelling it out since Wyatt doesn't read this blog). I was in charge of Wyatt's other request, the Toy Story movie, which it turns out, is not sold in ANY store in the Western hemisphere right now. Something about Disney keeping it in the "vault" for release next summer right before Toy Story 3 hits the theatres. Sounds like a marketing scam to me, but whatever. Good 'ol ebay came through for me though and I got a two-pack (Toy Story 1 & 2) and even found them from a seller in Quebec so I didn't have to pay import duties. One click (plus a few stocking stuffers), and my shopping was done!

My favorite part about this time of year has nothing to do with all the commercialism. It's the lights, the decorations, the festive music, the build up of anticipation leading up to the big day, feelings it inspires - kindness and generosity. The kids and I happily cruise around town, with Wyatt and I belting out the words to Christmas carols. The other day, Wyatt told me "Big boys wisten to da Nutcracker, mommy" (it's his favorite CD). Every night after dinner, Dayven and I lie on the floor in the living room with the kids and gaze up at the tree. Despite the fact that he's memorized every ornament and it's exact location, Wyatt still loves to play "I spy something on the Christmas tree...". It was a family favorite when my brother and I were kids and I love carrying on the tradition. We now have the nativity set that Karen set up with Dayven was a kid, but because all the figurines are porcelain, we'll probably wait a couple of years until the kids are a little more trustworthy. We had a wooden one that my brother and I loved to look at as kids. Maybe Nana will pass that one along.

This is the first year that Wyatt really "gets it" and is excited about Santa coming. I know that Christmas is only going to get more fun as they get older. There's a short window between old enough to understand and still young enough to believe. For now, I am enjoying every minute of this special time we have together. It's these times that I will probably miss most when they are grown.

Oh, to be a kid again and feel the pure joy and excitement of Christmas!

1 comment:

Mizerany Family said...

We have so many of those pictures of Bennett hugging Preston so tightly his face is distorted... gotta love how Wyatt just loves Hadley! They certainly are little cutie pies!