Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Death by pork chop

On Monday, Dayven had a serious bout of bubble guts while on his way to Fort McMurray for some business meetings. He called when he was about 3 hours into the 4 and a half hour drive to tell me he wasn't feeling well, his stomach was queasy and he was sweating profusely. The nausea had been building for the last hour so he decided he'd turn back and head home. The two lane road to Fort Mac is fairly desolate, save for a couple of microscopic blink-you-miss-it towns and a large truck stop. He barely made it to the truck stop before the next wave hit him. He was in the middle of nowhere when the last bout hit and he ended up throwing up on the side of the road. Meanwhile, he was calling me every hour or so to give me a trip update and let me know he was still alive.

The thing that was slightly bothering me about the whole incident was thinking about our dinner the night before...pork chops. I bought a flat of them at Costco and froze them in dinner portions. The last bunch we grilled were a bit tough and Dayven's a master griller so I assumed it must be the chops. I figured if I smothered the heck out of them, they'd be more tender. Anyway, as I pulled the pork chops from the oven, I noticed one of them looked a little funny, kind of dark on one side. Do pork chops have dark meat? They do, right? I convinced myself they did. I mean, I really didn't want to waste a perfectly good pork chop, plus I didn't have a plan B for dinner. So, I did what any weak-stomached pregnant person would do in the name of self-preservation, I stuck the suspicious looking one on my husband's plate. As you might imagine, I was wracked with guilt the next day as I thought about him having terribly unpleasant bodily functions in a truck stop bathroom. Had I caused this misery by serving tainted mystery meat? He actually asked "Do you think it might be the pork chops we had for dinner last night?" ME: "What!?? Noooooo, honey (GULP) ....I doubt that's what it is. It's probably just a flu bug or something." I frantically did a google search on recalls of Canadian pork chops, but thankfully there were no matches. He spent most of the afternoon and evening sacked out on the sofa in the basement. I checked on him a few times to make sure he was still breathing. Thankfully, he's feeling much better today so it's unlikely I'll be arrested for manslaughter. He headed off to work this morning so my guilt is starting to subside. I'm sure it was just a bug, that hopefully won't spread to any other family members. Just to be on the safe side, we won't be having pork chops again for a while...

3 comments:

Mizerany Family said...

I laughed out loud again even though I had heard it all before...too funny!

The Vlachs said...

That is soooooo funny, Chelsea!

Winona said...

oh, Yes, I'm sure Dayven thought the whole ordeal was very funny!! as we laugh at your comments.