We all had that special, much coveted, just out of reach toy we longed for as a kid. Our own personal version of the "Official Red Ryder carbine action two-hundred shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this think that tells time." For me, it was Barbie's Dream House (the pink corvette would have been a nice added bonus). The red-tiled roof with exposed skylights and a dumbwaiter that delivered cocktails to the rooftop terrace, the lime green plastic molded furniture with the pink striped cushions, the working elevator so Barbie needn't be bothered with unnecessary exercise and perspiration...luxury living at its finest! One of my friend's owned it and I used to lust after it during every play date. I was forced to use discarded shoe boxes, empty food containers and - heaven forbid! - my imagination to dream up a home for my Barbies. Not that I was deprived as a child by any means. I suppose my parents just believed I would have more fun working on developing my creativity.
My brother and I would spend hours pouring over the Sear's Wishbook as kids. We'd dog-ear the pages and circle all the items we wanted, laboriously making a list in order of preference. I'm not sure we ever actually got any of the items, but it's really more fun to dream anyway, right?
I'm not sure what Dayven wished for as a kid, but I know what he is wishing for now. What I had hoped was a passing phase, doesn't seem to be going anywhere. The motorbike quest continues, despite my attempts to talk him out of it.
Forget presenting logical arguments (I have many). Forget appealing to any sense of reason (he has none). Even my one feeble attempt at fulfilling his dream, pictured below, didn't work. He is not going down without a fight on this one. I must admit he is softening my resolve (I really hope he isn't reading this) and beginning to wear me down. Stay tuned to find out how this story ends.
"Honey, I have a special surprise for you..."
3 comments:
In our closet is Joni's Barbie and Ken. She doesn't want them and says sell them on Ebay but I just can't do it. She is now almost 51 yrs. old. I still have what she used for a Troll bed, it was an oatmeal box, laid on its side and the top and half of the side cut off. It made a good cradle. She had to use her imagination also so you were not alone!!Also there is a metal suit case full of Barbie clothes that I made. This blog sure brought back memories but the little green monster does not!!
Don't fight the purchase, let him get it, then you don't have to play the bad guy. However, if you emphasize his fatherly and husbandry duties every weekend, he'll just always wonder why he never gets time to ride it????I hope Jim isn't reading this.......
Post a Comment