Every year at Christmas, Dayven and I discuss what we'd like to have as our Christmas gift and treat ourselves to something in lieu of a surprise gift. One year we bought a computer. Last year it was cowboy boots for each other. This year, as I was struggling to come up with something I want, I realized (actually I've known this for a long time), we don't really need anything. We have everything we could ever want or need already. There's no rule that says we have to buy something, just because it's December 25. The commercialism of Christmas has always bothered me a bit anyway. We all know it's more important to give than receive, but we're generally giving to others just like ourselves, who don't need anything either. Lest I sound like I'm criticizing consumerism or relinquishing all material goods, I should confess something. About a month ago, I bought an HD Tivo with a lifetime subscription and it's made me really happy. I figured that was enough self-indulgence for one season, so I decided to find a way to give more this Christmas, instead of receive.
I know this time of year, it's easy to feel like you're being asked to give, everywhere you go. It's hard to find a store that doesn't have someone standing outside in a Santa hat, incessantly ringing a bell, in hopes of a few spare coins. If you're like me, you flung a few coins in the first time, then the next time, you thought geez, again people!? and busied yourself "looking" for something in your purse to avoid eye contact as you hastily made your way into the store. Thinking about this behavior makes me feel incredibly guilty. I mean, like I said, I have everything I need - love, health, food, shelter. There are so many people you don't have these things, so what's the big deal about giving up a couple of bucks I may have otherwise spent on another overpriced latte? So I thought about it and decided what I wanted to get for Christmas this year. A cow. Dayven is giving me a cow, or at least part of one. The organization Heifer International, is designed to help end poverty and hunger in struggling communities of third world countries. You can "give" livestock to those in need, so they can feed their families and make a living. They in turn, agree to "pass the gift" meaning they will give away any offspring to others in need. You can give a whole animal, such as a cow, sheep or pig, or just a "share" of one on behalf of someone else. It's a fun, unconventional Christmas gift to give to someone. It always feels good to give, but it feels even better when you know you're giving a gift that truly has an impact on someone else's life.
I know many of you already give a lot of time and money to help others and the point of this post isn't to lecture anyway. However you spend your holiday and no matter whom you decide to give to, just relax, slow down and remember what the holiday is really about - celebrating Christ's birth, being grateful for our blessings and spending time with people we love and care about. That's the greatest gift of all!

** If you're interested, there's a wonderful website called Charity Navigator, that gives information on different charities and provides a breakdown of how much of the donations go to the cause vs. how much are spent on other expenses, such as staff, advertising and fund raising. It's a great way to make sure you're donating your money in the smartest way possible.

No comments:
Post a Comment