Thursday, May 10, 2007

Save the drama for your mama

Wyatt and I had a lovely afternoon out shopping. The weather was beautiful and I'm in the market for a few new things so we went out on the hunt. He was doing so great in all the stores, just smiling and looking around. We received several compliments on what a good boy he was, out shopping with mommy. Things were going so well, I just kept going to more stores, despite the fact that we it was well past time for his afternoon nap. He started giving me the tired signals so I packed the little monkey in the car and we headed home. Wyatt can go from zero to sixty in no time. One minute he's happy and life is good and the next he is exhausted and ready to gnaw his arm off. He started fussing and wailing in the car, voicing his complaints. I explained we were about 15 minutes from home and when we got there, I'd fix him a bottle and he could lie down for a nap, but there was no reasoning with this guy. When he isn't happy, he wants EVERYONE to know about it. I finally gave up and turned on the sound to the DVD player (I didn't even turn on the screen). A few bars of that familiar opening to Baby Mozart and he was quiet as a church mouse - not a peep from the backseat. The silliest part is that he kept watching the screen, like he was waiting for the movie to start, but it never did. Since he still faces backward in his car seat, he has to kind of lean forward and crane his head to the side to see the DVD player (mounted in the ceiling). He watched that blank screen without uttering a word the entire ride home, just waiting. Worked like a charm! He barely finished his bottle before drifting off the sleep. After a nice long nap, he woke up in a great mood again.

No comments: