Friday, May 18, 2007

Abra Cadabra...It's magic!

Last year Dayven’s mom got us the Magic Bullet. It slices, it dices, it does everything but the dishes. We used it all the time last summer to make fruit smoothies and you can even make salsa and guacamole. Cleanup proved so much easier than the blender as there are just 2 small pieces you put right in the dishwasher. You can even blend it right in your individual cup. Of course, this year, I’ve found a whole new use for it – baby food! Although I’ve been buying Wyatt organic food, I think this is a much healthier option and the harder veggies really need to be made more Wyatt-friendly so the bullet helps. Once our farm share starts, I would like Wyatt to be able to eat all the organic fruits and veggies that we’ll be eating. This morning I’ve been madly steaming, chopping and packaging all sorts of goodies for him to eat. I made carrots, cauliflower (florets only - no stems), peas, sweet potatoes, and a little medley I call "Vegetable Delight". If you've got a good veggie eater like I do, the possibilities are endless.

In case you're so inclined, here are the steps...

1. Steam your veggies (steaming retains more nutrients than boiling). You can also prepare harder fruits (like apples and pears) this way. Reserve a little of the water in case you need for dilution later. There is no need to add salt or spices.

2. Place steamed veggies in bullet and pulse. You could also use a food processor or blender. Choose the blade you need based on desired consistency. I like to serve Wyatt's food a little "chunky". If your baby bird is used to soft food, be sure to blend all the large chunks out or you'll be cleaning up chunks of a different variety (I learned this the hard way).

3. Place in individual ice cube trays to freeze for later use. You can save a little out to put in the fridge but it must be eaten in the next day or so.

4. Once frozen, remove from ice trays, place in freezer ziplock bags and label. Next time you want to serve that particular veggie, you have already got your individual serving size ready to go!

The results? Another satisfied customer!

No comments: