Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving! ....sort of.


This was our first gluten free holiday. After getting the results of Wyatt's allergy testing, we realized he has a gluten sensitivity. We decided to eliminate it from our diets, or at least our house, as a show of support. We scarf down our bagels while he's at school. ;)

After spending the entire day in the kitchen last Thanksgiving cooking meals no one would touch, I decided to get some input this year. It was decided we'd have turkey, shrimp, mac and cheese, potato casserole and dessert. It's no secret I'm not a huge fan of Thanksgiving. I'm very thankful, but I'd rather spend the day with my family than in the kitchen, cooking and cleaning. I'm not a fan of any of the traditional Thanksgiving foods and since we don't celebrate with anyone (i.e. share the cooking load), it's me in the kitchen all. day. long. preparing foods that no one will touch. This year would be different. So I thought. It was our first year smoking the turkey. Dayven is great at cooking on the Egg and we've had some really delicious things, but we pulled the turkey off a tad soon and for fear of salmonella, stuck it back in the oven for a bit, which dried it out. I forgot to sauté the onions before putting them in the casserole so the flavour kind of overpowered it. The mac and cheese was good, but it turns out the kids just like boxed mac and cheese, as most kids do. The sad part is I'm a pretty good cook. What can I say? My heart just wasn't in it. Oh well, the wine was good. Next year, steaks for everyone!

The weekend turned around once Thanksgiving was over and my bitter feelings had passed. We started a new tradition - family movie night - that everyone loves. We pick a movie to watch together (this time it was Disney Planes), everyone puts on PJs (blankies, stuffed animals and slippers optional) and we curl up on the couch together. We even broke our 'no eating in the family room' rule and pop a big bowl of popcorn to munch on. We all loved it and decided we're going to try to do it once a month.

All in all, it was a good weekend. I had some really nice quality time with my favourite people.

Let the baking begin! Or the wine drinking... whatever.
Dayven is the best puppet impersonator. 
The audience is dying! 
Tate's favourite part of movie night was eating in the family room. 
Movie night - our new favourite tradition! 
This kid can eat his weight in shrimp. 
Don't worry, it's juice.  
Cheers! The kids love drinking from "fancy glasses". 
Pie is just a delivery method for whipped cream anyway. Why not skip that step?
We had such high hopes...
Gluten schmuten. Who needs it? 


1 comment:

Winona said...

We were at our Ace Hardware the other day and that EGG company put out the nicest booklet for you free. BUT it looks like someone would have scooped the snow off the deck!! ha We have gotten so we drop a huge tarp at the end of our patio so we don't have to scoop as the snow always comes from the northwest and that is the end of our patio. It works great! We also got a chair that goes up and down the steps and it works gread for hauling things up and down. So far we don't need it to ride on. Just planning for the future!