Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Girls' Weekend






This past weekend, I jetted off to Scottsdale for a girls' trip. A couple of girlfriends from Canada met me there. We stayed in a villa at the Kierland Westin Resort with gorgeous pools, palm trees and a beautiful mountain backdrop.


It had the makings of a perfect girls' trip - relaxing, shopping, eating, drinking, chatting and laughing. I hadn't seen Courtney and Christine since we moved and it was so great to see them. We shopped, lounged by the pool, sipped bubbly and nibbled snacks on the balcony of our villa and had some delicious meals. We floated in the lazy river at our hotel one day and had way too many cocktails or mixed too much. I'm not sure. Either way, we had a great time, but we were drunk by the afternoon and hungover by dinner. We all fell into bed at 8:30 that night! We decided to pace ourselves a little better the next day and stick to water and lemon. The heat and dry climate really take it out of you. It was so hot, you really had to be in the water. We didn't last on our chaise lounges for long. The weather was gorgeous all weekend - it was 108 one day!

Our last night, we took a bottle of wine down to the patio area and sipped while we watched the sunset and listened to the entertainment - a bagpipe player - playing on the golf course. It was such a beautiful setting.







Even though we didn't have a care in the world - not anyplace we needed to be nor anyone we needed to get up for, we were up early every day. I guess some things are just engrained in us. The three hour time difference messed me up a little.

As much as my daily life is crazy and I get stressed and snap at the kids, I could not wait to get home and see them.  This trip was just what I needed to regroup and re-energize. I loved the little break and relaxation and by the end,  I really missed them. I'm grateful to Dayven, for playing Mr. Mom while I was gone. He had his hands full with doctor appointments, swimming lessons and bus schedules. He said he heard several times "that's not how mommy does it!" The theme of the weekend became "cut Daddy some slack". Even Hadley was telling the others by the end. Ha! I guess it's good to know they missed me too.

I'm grateful for such fun girlfriends who were able to get away and meet me. We all need little trips to relax and recharge. I hope we can do it again!

No comments: