Our sweet baby is turning into a big boy, right before our eyes. ONE YEAR OLD!? How can that be?
This past year has flown by. Of course, every mom says this and I said it with each of my kids. But this third one has really gone by in a blink. It's been so fun watching him grow and change and discover the world.
He's a sweet, silly, curious little explorer. He unrolls toilet paper, rattles around in the pots and pans and empties the tupperware cupboard. I'm constantly finding blocks and little toys stashed in drawers and other random places he's been. He loves to help me with the laundry, which consists of me dumping the basket of clean clothes over his head while he giggles in delight, then rolls around in the clothes, slobbering all over them while I cover him up and peek through the pile to find him. It's our thing.
Our little billygoat slithers around the house eating everything in sight. He nibbles on puzzle pieces, books and even shoes. We have more chewed items than new puppy owners. He managed to break one of Hadley's favorite necklaces and then ate some of the beads before I could pry them from his chubby cheeks. We spent days hoping they'd pass through and debating who would get the unpleasant task of inspecting the diapers. Finally I found one and we assumed the rest would make their way through too.
This poor kid might think his middle name is "No!" since someone is always yelling that at him. He's famous for knocking over block towers built by others and pushing the power button on the xbox when Wyatt is mid game. He loses all his progress and it puts him over the edge. "ARGH!! TATE!!" Hadley covers up her puzzle when she sees him coming and we lift our coffee mugs out of reach. We jokingly call him "Tatezilla". He's trouble for sure...
He's so vocal, just babbling up a storm and making himself heard in any way he can. He has some loud role models and has quickly figured out you must yell to be heard in this house. If you talk to him, he'll respond, although we have no idea what he's saying. He seems to deliberate, looking at us so intently, like we understand him. It's possible he's speaking Korean. The other day I swear I heard him say "pancake". Then he fist bumped and blew it up. He's a superstar.
I've taught him how to sign "more" and "all done", hoping it would improve our communication. He learned how to wave and clap in the same week, which really confused things. Now it's all jumbled up. He'll sign more, then clap, laugh, sign all done..... and then sign more again. It's quite confusing but I'm sure he'll sort it out.
He's a great eater, like Wyatt. He'll eat most things we give him. He has a few things he's not wild about and they're met with a whole body shiver and a wrinkled up nose. Then he just adamantly pushes the spoon away. He prefers to feed himself so I'm always on the hunt for mushy things he'll like. He has four teeth but more must be coming because he drools like mad. His shirts are always soaked down the front and he goes through a couple a day.
Our little meatball is tipping the scales somewhere around 25lbs. He's not chubby, but definitely solid. My biceps are getting a workout hauling him around. I love his little ham hocks (we call them "glumps" in our family) and his dimply butt. There's only a short window of one's life when these qualities are considered endearing and he's rocking it.
He's not walking yet, but he's close. He crawls around the house at lightening speed. He's so efficient at it (much more so than his siblings), I think he just prefers it. He'll often stand by himself and he's quite proud of it. Then he plops down and crawls away. He walks great when you hold his hands, so it won't be long. It's a whole host of bumps and bruises when that happens and new dangers to watch for. I'm not in any hurry. Crawl your heart out, buddy.
He loves to watch his brother and sister doing anything. He's just happy to be part of the action. He loves to watch the big kids take their bath and loves joining them even more. I love watching his squishy little dimpled nude body standing there waiting his turn, peering over the edge.
He has a real special bond with Hadley. He is mesmerized by her and no one can make him laugh or dry his tears like she can. She's so nurturing and motherly with him, always checking on him and helping him out. He loves her so much. I know his bond will develop with Wyatt once he's walking and talking and more of a person in Wyatt's eyes. That is what happened with Hadley and now they're the best of friends.
We love watching our sweet boy and can't wait to see his personality continue to develop. He makes us laugh every day. We love you Tate!
![]() |
| Look Ma, no hands! |















2 comments:
Tatezilla haha! What a little trouble maker. But he does it all with that big happy smile so you cant even be mad hey? What a cutie! Such a big kid already. So much personality!
I love the picture of Tate in the cupboard. I hope he didn't eat so much cake that he threw it up. That is what our great grandson did for his first birthday. He is 2 mos. older than Tate but they are about the same size.
Post a Comment