Tuesday, November 08, 2011

1st night as a "Big Girl"!

SIX TIMES. That is how many times I escorted her elephant pajama-clad bottom back to her big girl bed on the first night. She has been so excited about her big girl room all week. I've been slowly moving things over and getting it all set up. She and Wyatt have been playing in there every day. She kept asking when she'd get to sleep in there and I told her this weekend we could try it. She is so fearless and independent, I was concerned how she would do with her new found freedom.When I was setting the room up, I reminded them that Hadley would have a big girl room now because soon the baby would be sleeping in her old room. Wyatt was quiet for a second, then said "Mommy, do I have a baby in my tummy too?" I guess the whole concept is still a little abstract for them. Either way, I'm glad she is excited about her room and doesn't feel like she's getting the boot.

The first night started off a little rocky. I decided to just watch TV in my room so I could keep a better eye on her. I was about 10 minutes into my show when I heard her little voice an inch from my face "Mommy? Whatcha doin'?" Since I was watching a show about vampires, I jumped. I marched her straight back to bed and reminded her she had to stay in there until morning. The second time, I heard her coming down the hall before she even made it to my room. Again, I marched her back and again explained the rules about a "big girl bed". She reassured me she would stay in there. About 20 minutes later, I saw Dayven carrying her up the stairs. Apparently she had made it all the way to the basement where he was watching football. The 4th time, I heard some noises and went to go find her, but she wasn't in her room. I looked all around upstairs when I heard a small noise coming from Wyatt's room. I opened the door and she was standing in there in the dark. She asked "Mommy, What is Wyatt doin' in here in da dark?" I told her that unlike her, Wyatt was sleeping and she should get back in bed. The 5th time, she walked straight past me in the hall toward the toy room and just said matter of factly "I'm goin' to play." Um, not at 9:30pm you're not. By the 6th time, I was getting really frustrated. I heard the telltale shuffling noises of her climbing out of bed and raced out to the hall to catch her before she made it out of her room. When she opened the door, I was standing there with my hands on my hips. She looked up at me and just quietly said "oh." and jumped right back in her bed. I picked her and her seventeen hundred animals up and dumped them all in her crib in her old room. I told her if she couldn't stay in her big girl bed, then she'd have to keep sleeping in her crib. She was devastated. She sobbed "Mommy! I'm NOT a baby!! I'm! NOT! I want to sleep in my big girl room!! NOT da baby room!! AGHHHHH....." I left her in there for a good ten minutes to cry and think about it. When I finally went back in, I told her she had one more chance and she promised to stay in her bed. I got her situated in her big girl bed and then I parked myself right outside her door to wait her out. I sat there for a good 20 minutes and heard not one peep from her. When I creeped in to check on her, she was fast asleep. Finally!
 
The second night went a little better. She only came out twice. The first time happened while I was brushing my teeth. I turned around and she was just standing there staring at me. I jumped and so did she. What is it about kids sneaking up on you that is totally creepy? It's been happening to me for at least two years and it still scares me. They should really announce, "I'm walking into your room and I'm going to stand freakishly close to your face and not say a word. Don't be alarmed when you open your eyes and see me staring at you". But they don't...  The second time I caught her in the hall again and she said "I'm not scared of anyfing. Not anyfing at all... I'm not." which I took to mean she really is scared, but is trying to be brave. I marched her back to bed, told her there is nothing to be scared of and offered up some threats of the baby crib (tough love!). That did it. I didn't hear from her again until morning.

Naptime was a little trickier since it's light out, she's not quite as tired and she's afraid of missing out on anything fun when she knows we're all awake. I would say she's probably on the verge of dropping her afternoon nap except that I desperately need the quiet time in the afternoon and also she's a bearcat by evening if she doesn't take a nap. I told her to stay in her room and have quiet time. I heard her playing in there for a while and then quiet, so I assumed she was asleep. I left her for almost two hours, then went back to check on her. When I opened her door, she was just lying on her floor. She rolled over and said "Oh hi, mommy! I'm awake! Can I come out now?"  I felt terrible, like I had relegated her to her room.  She did look a little disheveled and had carpet marks pressed into her cheek so I'm thinking she dozed for a little bit at least.

Last night, she didn't come out once so I think we're moving in the right direction. I went into her room to check on her right before I went to bed and found her curled up in a ball sideways on her bed, with her pink glitter fairy wings on. Obviously she was playing her room for a bit before bed, which I guess is ok. We'll get there!

Wyatt has been sleeping in a big boy bed forever now, but lest he feel left out later, I thought I'd include a picture of him. I was taking so many pictures of Hadley in her bed, he wanted one too!

No comments: