Words can't describe how much I love Hadley's sweet little voice with all its inflection and expression and Wyatt's silly, but endearing, pronunciation errors. I wish I could bottle them. I am constantly making video of the kids so I can remember what they were like when they were little. I know it will pass before I know it.
Hadley walked up to me the other day and placed her hands on my cheeks and looked straight into my eyes. She gave me a big kiss and said "Mommy, you're my sweet widdle angel". Oh Hads! You're my sweet little angel! She was so pleased with my reaction, she has started doing it more regularly. "Oh mommy, just give me a hug." Someone clone this kid! My mom says I will be eating those words when she turns 13.Wyatt still asks me to kiss his boo boos. He'll be full on sobbing and one kiss will stop the crying. It's amazing! Better than any medicine out there. He'll honestly stop crying and look right at me "Oh, Mommy. Tank you. Dat feels so much better..." Hadley always wants in on the attention and inspects herself for a non-existent boo boo for me to fix. "Me too, Mommy! I have a boo boo too!" She even brings me her dolls and animals with fake boo boos that need kissing.
Wyatt has figured out if lies on his back in the tub after the water drains out, it will create a suction. When he lifts his back up, it makes this incredibly loud fart noise. This provides endless entertainment. Every night after his bath, he lies in the empty tub making fart noises for at least 20 minutes. It is the kind of thing a 5 year old finds hilarious.
Wyatt likes brushing his teeth all by himself (although one of us always does it first so they actually get brushed good). The other night he told me he had already brushed them, then almost as an afterthought, he said "I spilled some on the floor". If that wasn't the understatement of the year. Despite his attempts to be more independent on some things, he is still a mama's boy at heart. He loves to snuggle up and read and will often just walk up to me and ask "Mommy, will you give me a hug?" Who could resist a sweet boy like that?
Hadley loves to play with dress up clothes. She will often don two tutus (of course two is better than one!), backpack, jewelry and fancy shoes. My personal favorite is when she escapes before her bath and runs around the house, naked except for a backpack and glitter high heels. What a girl!
She is the most agreeable kid. "Sure!" is her response to almost everything I ask, although it comes out sounding more like su-wah, which is even more charming. I love her wide eyed, surprised reaction to something. "Oh! My! Goodness!" The fact that she isn't saying something else is a testament to how much I've scrubbed my vocabulary of offensive words.
Hadley will often jump out at us and make a silly noise, then laugh like crazy and ask "Did I scare you, mommy!?" Even though she didn't, I usually play along.
She makes silly little comments and observations as we're going about our day. I took her to the Dollar Store and she said "Oh mommy! P-U! What dat smell?" (Cheap plastic chemicals made in China). She kept commenting the whole time we were in there. "P-U. It willy stinky in here." My pregnant nose had to agree and we made a beeline for the exit.
I had to run into Michael's to pick something up. I noticed their scrapbook paper was on sale so I decided to take a peek. I had Hadley with me and she said in her matter of fact voice "Mommy, put dat paper back. You have dat at home!" Seriously. It's like having the shopping police with you on your outings. Dayven was so proud when I told him the story.
The other day, I found Hadley in the playhouse outside. When I asked her what she was doing, she said "Mommy.... I'm bakin' cookies" and gave me that sweet, mischievous smile. When I went back to check on her a few minutes, I smelled it. She was baking something all right and it definitely wasn't cookies. Time to crack down on the potty training!
We got Wyatt one of the new LeapPads for this birthday and he loves it. Plays it day and night. It has a built in camera so you can take digital pictures and record video. Apparently he took a video of me and showed it to Dayven when he got home. There's somewhat shaky video of me on the computer, with his sweet little voice in the background saying "Mommy, I want to show you something!", followed by my somewhat tired sounding voice saying "Just a minute buddy. Mommy is typing an email". Poor kid! Of all the times to make a video of me, this is the one he has to show Dayven? He also took a picture of me vacuuming so I slightly redeemed myself.
They've picked up a few of my oft repeated phrases and I always get a kick out of hearing them used later in another setting. Wyatt said to Hadley - "Hadley, I don't like your attitude! You better straighten up." (I'm sure he's heard this one a few times), "Hadley, use your fork! We don't eat like animals!" I love the sweet little way Hadley asks "What's up, guys!?" and her pronoun confusion "Wait to me, guys!" when running after us and my personal favorite, "Let's hit it, sister!" - she says this to me when it's time to go.
Wyatt often calls Hadley "mam", which is probably because I'm always calling them mam and sir (it's a Southern thing). He'll say "Please come here, mam". "Thank you, mam", anything along those lines. It's really sweet and cute, although I'm sure it won't stick around forever since those terms aren't commonly used north of the Mason Dixon line.
Wyatt is an absolute chatter box. I have often had complete strangers comment "Wow, he really talks a lot". It's almost like verbal diarrhea. He just has a hard time staying quiet. He will talk to anyone he sees, whether he knows them or not. He often walks up to random people in the grocery store to tell them what we're shopping for, his favorite movie or even what he had for breakfast. Sometimes they're not sure how to react and look around to be sure he's talking to them. Thankfully most people find it charming and comment on how cute he is.
I love listening in on their conversations in the morning when Wyatt beats me into Hadley's room. Hadley: "Oh morning Wy! How you sweep last night?" "Ah, good Hadley. What did you dream about?" She always says the same thing. She dreamed about riding on a boat with Chuck E Cheese. I'm not sure where this came from. Birthday party flashbacks maybe.
The other day we were walking through a store and I looked back to see them quietly walking along, holding hands together, with zero prompting from me. Melted. my. heart.
It's hard to believe that these days will all be a distant memory eventually. I once read a quote "With kids, the days are long, but the years are short". How true this is. Some days are so exhausting you think they'll never end, but then when you look back, time really does pass in the blink of an eye. This is such a happy and special time in our lives and I'm going to keep documenting all I can so I don't forget all the little things that make me cherish this time.





3 comments:
Loved this blog and in years to come you'll be so glad you took time to do it. How quickly we forget. I try to remember those days when our kids were that age and I don't remember much about it. So no matter how busy you get always take time to record like you are doing now. It is so easy with the computers now days. Hadley takes such sweet pictures. I"m seeing more and more of Dayven in Wyatt too.
Love this post. Coincidentally I started working on a blog similar to this about 1.5 wks ago. My kids were making me laugh, and I wanted document why. These are the best posts. And by the way, Wyatt's little charades in the bathtub would make me laugh too! funny!!
Love the pictures! They are priceless as are the sayings. Oh and those pigtails on Hadley are adorable. I can just imagine Aniela helping out in the bathtub fun...feels like just yesterday they were taking baths together!
Post a Comment