Saturday, September 10, 2011

Last days of summer...

It's hard to believe that Fall is just around the corner, especially when we're having another Canadian heat wave this week. We've had highs this week of 31 degrees (about 88F) but thankfully no humidity or I wouldn't make it. After living in such a cool climate, I have very little heat tolerance anymore, especially being pregnant. I still had a few things left on my summer adventures "to do" list, but they'll just have to wait until next year. I'm actually ready for Fall and hoping for a little cooler weather. It's one of my favorite times of year. I'm excited for changing leaves, cool nights, leaves that crunch under your feet when you walk, the smell of wood burning fireplaces, hot lattes, the return of my favorite TV shows, the chance to wear my new skinny maternity jeans (skinny maternity jeans. Is that an oxymoron?)

But for now, we're just outside soaking up more vitamin D before it's time to hunker down. We took the kids to the Splash Park on the last day before they closed for the season. As always, they had a ball running around and splashing in the water. Wyatt's a little tentative, but Hadley just goes for it!







I took the kids to Dairy Queen for the first time. I've been through the drive-thru before but told them it was a coffee place and there was nothing for them (I know, mean mom!). They passed the same cone back and forth for at least 20 minutes until it was all dripping down their arms. It was cute to see them take a few licks, then pass it back to the other one, "Ok, it's your turn!" I guess it never occurred to them they could have their own. Even sharing it, they had trouble finishing it. Hadley quickly figured out mommy's turtle blizzard is much yummier than a plain ol' vanilla cone anyway. A girl after my own heart!






We're back to school full time now. It's been kind of nice to get back into a routine. Wyatt seems to be settling in to Kindergarten well and liking it, but the bus is still a bit of a struggle in the morning. He keeps asking if he can just ride to school with Hadley and I, but since we're usually still in our PJs, that's not an option. I got him a special toy to hold just while on the bus and that seemed to help a bit. He just zips it in his backpack when he gets to school to keep it safe until the ride home. There are still a few tears and sniffles as the bus pulls away, but I keep my game face on, smiling and waving from the driveway, even though it tears me up inside seeing him pull away. He's a routine guy. Once it becomes more familiar to him, I know he'll really like it. The bus driver is sweet and assigned him a seat right in the front row so she can keep an eye on him.

Hadley seems to be adjusting better to him being gone. The other day as I put him on the bus, I looked back to see her watching and waving from the window. When I got back inside, she said "Ok Mommy, it's my turn to play Wy's LeapPad now" and went to look for Wyatt's beloved new game system he got for his birthday.  I've signed us up for a few "Mommy and Me" activities while he's at school and I'm looking forward to that. Hadley will have fun and she doesn't often have my undivided attention so I think it will be nice for her. I'm hoping Wyatt doesn't get wind of this. I tell him that Hadley and I just stay home while he's at school to clean the house and wait for him. When Dayven heard me telling him this at dinner, he raised his eyebrows but had the good sense not to comment. If Wyatt knew we were going to the library and Costco without him, he would be heartbroken.

Goodbye summer, hello Fall. We're ready for you!

1 comment:

Mizerany Family said...

Don't feel bad Chels, we lie to Bennett too! The past couple of days have been hard for her, especially when she knows Pres is going to the gym with me (they love the gym nursery). If she knew we went to Toys R Us and McDonalds today, she would DIE!!