Thursday, January 27, 2011

Cabin fever vs. public embarrassment

This one's a toss up, but I have to say that often I don't care what state we're in, we must leave this house. We're so cooped up this week, I'm actually inventing fake errands to run. What else am I supposed to do when it's this crummy out? Clean my house? I don't think so!

I told the kids to suit up for a super exciting, yet to be determined adventure. I figured something would come to me as we were driving out of the neighborhood.

I went to put my boots on to leave when I felt something inside. An old, dried apple slice spilled out on the carpet. Hadley. The kids and I stared briefly at it. Is it wrong that I secretly hoped someone would eat it and save me having to take off my other boot to go into the kitchen and throw it away? Wyatt didn't disappoint. He eyed it for about 2 seconds before scooping it up. "Hmmmm....de-wishuss!"

I decided that the bookstore would be the perfect destination for us. Outings can be tricky because my kids are, well, loud. They're always squealing, shrieking, singing and making announcements in a volume intended for half the store to hear. The concept of the "inside voice" is lost on them. Sometimes I pretend to shush them by stage whispering that we should keep it down, but I know it's never going to happen. I'm really just saying it so other people won't think I let my kids run all willy nilly, which I do. True to form, Wyatt was manically laughing while racing around in the demo plasmacar in the kids' section of the bookstore. "WEEEEEEE!! .....MOMMY, WATCH! Dis is SO COOL!!....I am SO FAAAAAST!" racing at a speed that threatened to take out anyone in his path. There were a couple of other moms sipping lattes with their freakishly quiet kids giving us the stink eye. There are plenty of places where no one cares how loud you are, but it turns out that people want to enjoy their $6 lattes in peace. When I announced it was time to go, I knew no one would agree with me and it would be a fight. As Wyatt's protests grew louder, I could feel the judgey mommies boring holes into the back of my head with their eyes. I leaned down and whispered to Wyatt that if he left quietly without making a scene we could go to McDonald's for lunch. That did it. The promise of a cheap plastic toy and greasy food had him racing for the car. Kid - 1. Mom - zip. Not only was I bribing my kid, but with chemical-laden, artery clogging, processed junk to boot! Sometimes you just don't have any fight left in you and you have to do what's necessary to keep the peace.

Next stop, Canada Post. We just have to stop in really quickly to mail a package. No problem, right? Wrong. I'm not sure why the hold up, but by the time it was our turn, Wyatt was launching himself off a stack of 12 packs of soda yelling 3..2..1..Blastoff!!, and Hadley was systematically pulling postcards from the rack and placing them in a large stack on the floor. Wyatt moved on to making snow angels on the floor or mopping the tile with his back? I'm not sure which. I tried to wrangle in my two orangatuans and regain control of the situation. The women working behind the counter gave me that knowing smile and said, "Believe it not, someday your son will be the easy one and your daughter will be the challenge. I have 5 kids. Trust me on this." People are always telling me that, but I'm not sure I believe them. 


So, Dayven just left for a boys' only ski trip this weekend in Banff with his college buddies. I am having a hard enough time keeping these monkeys entertained for the rest of the week and now the weekend too? Ugh.. But hey, that guy deserves a break too and I've got my trip coming up next weekend.

My friend called to see if I wanted to join her Saturday night for a mall date to do things we can never do when our kids are with us. Stuff like, you know, sniff perfume, browse in non-kid stores and gasp at price tags, drink overpriced foo foo coffee drinks and maybe have a cocktail after? HELLS yes!! Since I normally race through the mall at lightening speed, flinging snacks at the two little people clinging to the double stroller, a nice leisurely stroll sounds heavenly. Babysitter is booked. Who says the guys will be the only ones enjoying themselves this weekend?

I'm also signed up for a foam roller class. That's exactly how it's listed in the course brochure. It's basically an hour and half class where you roll around on a foam bolster in an effort to simulate deep tissue massage and work the kinks out of your muscles. A friend who has taken it before told me it hurts so bad that she actually had tears in her eyes throughout the class. Really looking forward to it.

2 comments:

ebbandflow said...

My kids are loud too! I want to know how these people train their kids to be quiet. The supermarket is a nightmare these days, the other day I went in Angus' nap time (with him in the pram asleep) because I couldn't work out how to do the shopping otherwise. Normally him and Tom are running up and down the aisles playing tag or 'boo'. Which is funny - to me - annoying and painful for everyone else. Those coffee mums should have cut you some slack and given you the understanding 'smile'. Don't they know about Karma??

Jocelyn said...

what a relief...i am not the only one with monkeys! thanks...i feel much more normal now! those other moms must use tranquilizers on their quiet ones! i think it is much better to have "active" children anyway...it is their way of learning...or so i tell myself!