Dayven's travel schedule is back in full force. He was gone all last week and it was a little touch and go for us. I came down with a ferocious cold with fever, chills, aches, congestion, sore throat, you name it. Although I would have loved nothing more than to crawl in bed and throw the covers over my head, the show must go on. It's bad enough feeling sick, but even worse when you are taking care of a busy preschooler and getting up in the night with a newborn. Just as I was starting to feel a little better, Hadley came down with it, although a much milder version. On the night I was most miserable, the swing stopped working at about 3am. Just conked out. This was the one secret weapon that could always get her to sleep and I've been letting her sleep in it a lot lately. When replacing the batteries did nothing, I panicked. I knew I was going to have to break her of the terrible habit eventually, but not when I feel like crap and my husband is out of town! I guess it was good because she's sleeping fine in her bassinet now. The following day, Wyatt broke his humidifier. The hot steam really clears up his sinuses and it helps him sleep when he's congested. During his "nap", he tore apart the photo album Dayven's mom made him and placed all the plastic page protectors over top of the steam duct, blocking the escape of steam. It melted all the plastic into one big hunk and warped the entire top of the humidifier. We're lucky it didn't catch fire or that Wyatt didn't suffocate on the toxic fumes. It seemed like I was spending my whole day running from one thing to the next, cleaning up colossal messes, changing diapers, preparing snacks and meals, cleaning up again, folding laundry, instructing, correcting and redirecting Wyatt as he went about his day. I was barely finished with one when the other one needed something. What in the world did I do with all my free time when I only had one kid? Later that night, while I was on the phone to my mom complaining about how exhausting/difficult/boring my life is right now, Wyatt stood up on the kitchen chair and leaned over the back of it (something I've told him 100 times not to do). Of course, it tipped over and he did a face plant right on the kitchen floor and erupted into screaming sobs. When it rains, it pours!
I had a slight break since Dayven arrived home Friday at midnight and was home for two days before leaving again Monday morning. I'm happy to say that this week is going much better. We're still flying solo, but I'm starting to get the hang of my new life. I've been wading through the mounds of laundry (I can actually see the laundry room floor now), cleaning/organizing the house and even finding a sliver of time for myself in the afternoon when Wyatt is napping. I get a kick out of the fact that every time the doorbell rings, Wyatt yells "Da pizza's here!" I swear we have only ordered it once in the last week. Dayven has several more trips in the upcoming weeks. It sure makes me appreciate him even more. How do single moms do it?
Despite the fact that I collapsed in an exhausted heap at the end of each day, I wouldn't trade my job for anything. At least once a day, Wyatt says or does something that makes me laugh. I get to spend every day with two of my favorite people and what could be better than that?
There were a few endearing moments that made me not want to sell them on ebay...
Hadley hangs out in the beanbag while I'm reading Wyatt stories.
Going in for a kiss...
Every day Wyatt asks me to put Hadley in his bed so she can take a nap with him.
6 comments:
Oh I love the pics of Wyatt and Hadley in the crib. SHe is growing so fast. We have to get to Edmonton before she gets too big so I can get my hands on her!
It is so hard when the husbands travel. One thing I can relate to and is another reason why I don't mind Fort Mac....Charlie doesn't have to travel like he used to!
Thanks for your comment. It has to be of some comfort that most moms have felt the same way when at home with 2 little ones. Two things that worked for me: 1) get out of the house, or else your toddler will destroy yours, and 2) caffeine
Wow, I couldn't agree with Cassie's comments more! Those are two rules I live by as well. Even though it sometimes more of hassle to load up both kids, it is nice to just leave, even if it is just to run several errands...anything to break up the monotony.
Well done, well done, well done, hang in there. We are thinking of you. It's amazing how much spare time you didn't know you had when you had one isn't it? I felt the same way.
Yes, when it rains it pours!!! Hang in there, Chels!!! You are such a rockstar. It must be soooooo hard some moments, hours, days and whole weeks, I'm sure, when Dayven's traveling. The first few month of life with two are almost survival mode :) I wish I could have driven our swing over to you in the middle of the night. Hope you feel better soon! Buy yourself something online. Doesn't that make things better instantly? :) Ha!!! Meg
Don't give up. Here my kids were only 17 months apart and guess what?? 52 years later, I don't even remember those days that you are going through right now. I'm sure it will be the same with you in 50 more years!! I also had no running water, no inside toilet, no microwave and I could go on so you see it could even be worse!! just hang in there, you are doing great. Oh, PS, Billy was home every night to help though!!
Post a Comment