Thursday, November 06, 2008

Resting in peace...

It's with a heavy heart that I share with you that Karen lost her battle to breast cancer on Tuesday night. We received a call last Friday that she wasn't doing well and we hopped in the car and raced to Denver as quickly as we could. We arrived to find Karen's closest friends, "The Girls" as they refer to themselves, at her bedside, waiting for us with warm hugs. It was so comforting knowing they were all there with us and we didn't have to face it alone. Karen was glad to see us and we enjoyed a couple of good days together, chatting and watching Wyatt entertain us. The girls came over on Sunday night for a big pasta dinner. We polished off a few bottles of wine, looked at old photos and laughed over all the stories as they reminiced about the good 'ol days, back in college, when Chuck and Karen were first dating. On the last day, we could feel her slipping away. Friends and family were keeping vigil by her side, making sure she was never alone, praying the rosary, sometimes just sitting quietly with her. We each had private time with her and were able to make our peace and make sure we left nothing unsaid. She never felt any pain and her passing was peaceful, something we prayed about from time we found out how serious her illness was. The last few days of Karen's life were the best we could have asked for. She was surrounded by people who loved and cared about her and she was able to stay in her home where she was comfortable, something that was very important to her. Even when facing a terminal illness, the will to live is incredibly strong. I feel that Karen really believed she may have a chance and remained positive until the end. Finally, her strength gave out and she just let go.

Karen was truly one of the most compassionate and emphathetic people I've ever known. Although she was soft spoken, anyone close to her knew how much she loved them, in her own quiet way. The number of people supporting us now is a true testament to the friendships she has formed over the years. I can not imagine going through this without the love and support of the wonderful network of friends and family we have. We are so blessed to have them and I will be eternally grateful. Words cannot begin to express my gratitude.

My heart breaks for Dayven, losing another parent, way before anyone should have to. He has been incredibly brave and strong and I'm so proud of him for how he's handled everything. The past 48 hours have been a bit surreal. Time always passes really slowly when you're in the midst of something life changing. We're really exhausted too, which doesn't help. Family and friends have been stopping by with food and calling to offer their condolences. My parents and brother Josh are flying in from Florida. Once the flurry of activity slows down, we'll begin the overwhelming task of sorting through her things.
We're having a private mass for friends and family on Friday at her church, with a small reception afterward, just as Karen wanted.

Thank you to all of you, near and far, who have been supporting us and offering prayers and love. We can't tell you how much it means to us...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chelsea,
You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers at this heart breaking time. Always remember you have a "family" of us waiting here in St.Albert for any word of what we can do to support you.May the Lord show his loving face to you in your sorrow and fill your hearts with the promise of Karen's peace and excitement at spending eternity with her Father in His heavenly kingdom.
Love the gals at MOPS

Unknown said...

Were thinking of you during this difficult time! Love you and keeping you in our prayers always!

Mark and Amy . . . said...

Dayven, Chelsea, and Wyatt,

You are in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. Don't hesitate to call or e-mail if you need anything at all.

All our love.

Mark, Amy, and Charlie

Mizerany Family said...

I can only imagine how difficult of a time this is for you all. We are praying for you, and thankful to hear that she wasn't in pain and had all of her family and friends with her. We will be thinking of you.

Love, Julie and Steve

tod said...

Our hearts go out to you ... we feel like you are part of the family, since Aniela and Wyatt are engaged. You are in our prayers. Tod and Pam.

Anonymous said...

Chelsea you wrote such a good tribute to Karen. You were such a wonderful daughter in law and Karen just loved you so much. I'm so sorry at such a young age Dayven has lost both of his parents. When I think back to how old I was when I lost mine. I will always remember the good days I had with Karen playing scrabble. I'm just sad that we were gone when she passed. Love to you and Dayven and Wyatt. Wyatt was robbed way too early of his Grandma but God had other plans for her.