Sunday, January 29, 2012

From the mouths of babes...

The kids are still talking about Nana and Poppy and when we'll see them again. Yesterday they were playing and Wyatt said "I hear something! Someone's coming in. Could it be Nana and Poppy?" Hadley said to him, "No, they flew home to Cedar Key. Nana turned back into Cindy and Poppy turned back into Mike." Pretty insightful for a two year old, don't you think?

She's been obsessed with everyone's "real" name. She'll say "Mommy, me and Wyatt call you mommy, but other people call you Chelsea. Me and Wyatt call Daddy, Daddy, but other people call him Dayven." She had picked up on Nana and Poppy's "real" names but listening to what they call each other. She would sometimes call them that too. It was silly to hear her asking "Where is Mike? It's time to read stories". We then explained how their names are just like ours - She and Wyatt (and eventually Tate) have a special name for them, but other people call them something else. I guess this is where the comment about them turning back into Mike and Cindy came from.

My parents told me another funny thing Hadley said while they were here. She walked up to my dad and said "Poppy, you have a willy. Daddy and Wyatt have willies too. Me and mommy just have bums." My dad couldn't really say much but agree. I don't refer to anyone's personal anatomy as a "willy" but I've heard Wyatt use this term so I'm sure that's where she picked it up. I'm not sure what age you teach them the correct anatomical names, but that's my preference over some made-up word.

I had been taking Hadley to almost all my OB appointments with me and at the end, we were going once a week. They always have you give a urine specimen before the appointment. Of course, I have to take Hadley into the bathroom with me. She is fascinated by this and we had a discussion about it every week. We go into the handicap stall so it's nice and roomy (and I can keep her far from the toilet). She crouches down and peeks while I hover over the paper cup, collecting my specimen. She says excitedly and loudly, "Mommy! I see it! Pee is coming out of your bum!  ........are you peeing in dat cup? What are you doing with dat pee?" and on and on. If there's someone else in the bathroom, the conversation usually elicits a chuckle.

The kids have also asked a lot of questions while watching me pump. Wyatt will just stare at my chest and ask "Mommy, what is that? What are you doing there?" Hadley has asked so many times, she now knows. She'll say "Wyatt! Dat's 'mommy milk' for Tate. When I was little, I drank 'mommy milk' too!" Wyatt has even held the pump parts up to his chest, studied them for a second and said "huh!" then put them down. It's all quite curious!

1 comment:

Winona said...

Like Art Linkletter used to say "Kids say the strangest things", or the Darnest things. Can't remember for sure. That is how they learn tho, being curious as yours are at that age. We have 16 inches of snow here now!! It is making up for last year.