Friday, October 28, 2011

Fall Fun...

Gotta love Fall and all the fun things about it! It's one of my favorite times of the year. We took the kids to Prairie Gardens, a family-owned fun farm not far from our house. They have a little pumpkin festival and all sorts of cute things for the kids to do. We underestimated the weather a bit. It looked so nice outside, but was quite windy and chilly. We still had a great time. Wyatt talked a big game about the Haunted House, but when it came time to enter, he was too scared. Instead we wandered around and checked out the animals, the playground and the kids' favorite, the skeleton band. A little "band" of skeletons, that all move in time to the music and actually look like they're playing/singing the songs. The kids were mesmerized and watched song after song. We finally had to drag them on to something else.




 


 
 
 

 
 
 


We went to Hole's, our local garden center and got some pumpkins to add to our front door decor. Each year we're able to do a bit more as the kids get less scared. Every morning before the bus comes, Wyatt wants to go outside and look at his pumpkin and the Halloween decorations. It's cold early in the morning, but we do it anyway. 

I took a cookie decorating class with a girlfriend and we had a ball learning all the basics. We now know how to make royal icing and use it to edge, flood fill and pipe decor on our cookies to make them super fun! We each took home a dozen Halloween creations. The kids loved them (and the big kids too). They barely lasted 2 days.




Hadley had her last day of playschool this week. I forgot to sign us up for the next session and now it's full so we're on the wait list. She absolutely loved it and was so excited every Tuesday when I told her it was time for school. She was so proud of her big girl self and would tell Wyatt at breakfast "I'm goin' to school too, Wy!!"  On our last day, the kids got to do a Halloween painting with pudding! Thank goodness the teacher had mentioned it the week prior so I could dress her in a previously-stained shirt. I'm sure a good mom lets her kids enjoy these kind of crafts with reckless, joyful abandon, but it was seriously giving me heart palpitations. I couldn't wait for it to be over so we could go wash up, but Hadley loved it. More ended up in her mouth than on the paper!
 
 
 

A girlfriend hosted a Girls' Only Pot Luck and Movie Night at her house. We all brought a yummy Fall/Thanksgiving themed dish to share. I brought Whiskey Glazed Carrots and Pecan Pie with homemade whipped cream. There were so many mouth-watering dishes there. We ate ourselves into a food coma and plopped on the couch to watch a movie. The perfect girls' night in!

This weekend the Halloween festivities start. More pictures to follow!

2 comments:

Marta said...

these pictures turned out great of the kids. All growing so fast. I love the pic of you with that adorable hat....totally stylin' momma!

Winona said...

That looked like such a fun place to take the kids. We had a pumpkin carving afternoon at the Sr. ctr. They furnished the pumpkins and we carved. It was so much fun.Then we got to bring them home. I have mine sitting on our mailbox so the mailman can enjoy it.