Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Let's get the beat for the days of the week


From an early age, we're taught that time is linear. There are 7 days in a week and 12 months in a year. Kids are taught to count up to significant events by counting the number of "sleeps" or night before it will occur. I'll bet you didn't know there are only 92 sleeps until the premiere of Cars 2!

One of the beautiful things about kids is they are always in the present moment. Unlike us, they never obsess about the past or painstakingly plan for the future. They just enjoy each moment and appreciate it for exactly what it is. It's kind of sad that our way is desirable over a child's way, but I guess it's a necessary part of planning and life.

Wyatt has an insatiable need to know what is happening next. What are we going to do today? What are we going to do after lunch? When are we going swimming? the playground? and on and on. I got tired of his incessant questions and struggled with how to explain it, so I got a kids' calendar to help put it in perspective. It seems to be doing the trick nicely. Now we can mark what's happening each day and count down to significant events. He likes it quite a bit and checks it every morning to see what's happening that day.

The best part...only FOUR MORE SLEEPS until Florida!!

1 comment:

Mizerany Family said...

Bennett is also a big question asker, so I think this might serve her well too. Where did you get it? How do the photos work, did they come with the calendar, or do you put take them and put them on it? Looks interesting....