Last weekend, while my mom and I were tag teaming two little munchkins, Dayven was in Denver, celebrating his induction into the Athletic Hall of Fame for his university, Colorado School of Mines. Click here for more photos. Friday night there was a banquet honoring the inductees, where Dayven accepted his award and even gave a little speech. Although neither of his parents were there to see him accept this honor, he still managed to fill a table with family and friends. It was really
touching that so many people attended to support him, especially since I really wanted to be there but couldn't. His parents would have been so proud of him. His friend Eric, who ran on the 4x400 relay team with him, was inducted as well. Dayven's list of accomplishments filled two slides during the presentation. He still has several unbroken records for both track and football.Now for a little bragging on my hubby. This is what his plaque reads...
Four-year letterwinner on the CSM track and field team (1998-2001)

Six-time All-American in track & field (3 times in 400m/3 times in 4x400 relay)
Won 15 RMAC (Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference) titles (400m, 4x400m relay), earning All-RMAC honors on all occasions
Shares CSM outdoor record in the 400m run (46.90 - 2000)
Member of CSM's 4x400 relay outdoor school record team (3:10.47 - 2001)
Holds CSM indoor track record in 200m (22.08 - 2000)
Member of CSM's 4x400m (3:13.83 - 2001) and mile relay (3:15.58 - 2001) school record teams
Two-year letterwinner in football (2000-2001)
Established three CSM single-game records on 9/22/01 at FHSU (receptions - 14, points - 30, TD - 5)
Finished football career at CSM with 92 receptions, 1,325 yards (14.4 ypr) and 15 TD
CSM's Male RMAC Honor Student Athlete (2000-2001)
Graduated from CSM in 2002 with a bachelors in Mining Engineering
I don't really know what all that means, but it sounds really impressive, right?
Sports turned out to be the theme for the weekend. On Saturday, he went to the Mines homecoming football game with his buddies. Sunday he got a chance to take in a Broncos football game. We actually have season tickets - his parents had them for years - although we're never in town to make a game and have to sell them every year. He finally got a chance to see them live instead of watching his beloved team from the couch. His friend Eric arranged for them to go down on the field before the game. There was a little ceremony before the game for the All-Star team and they got to hold the banner and watch some of the past football greats being introduced. Such a treat for a huge Broncos fan!
As always, I send my camera along with strict instructions to take as many pictures as possible. Due to some settings being off (likely someone got their grubby little paws on it and started pushing buttons), some of the pictures didn't turn out great, but you get the idea...

7 comments:
you should really be proud of Dayven. What a tribute to him. I really never thought Wyatt looked like Dayven much but one of those pictures I could see Wyatt in Dayven's smile. Just a shame you could not accompany him to the Awards banquet. But that is the price you have to pay for being a good mommie!! We are having nice weather again after our record breaking cold spell. I know Karen and Chuck are together now and they were smiling as Dayven received his award.
Wow. That is so cool and impressive!! What a stud! (You can tell Dayven I said that) ;) Haha. It's an equal testament to him that so many people came to come support him. I can't wait until our Cat assignments bring us to the same town! I'm so sorry it's already snowing! Stay warm... xoxo, Meg
I am very impressed Dayven, congratulations!
Wow...maybe I should train with Dayven for one of my next races!! ;-) What an amazing life accomplishment...congratulations again Dayven!!
Chelsea,sorry about some of the pics. I am afraid that those grubby little paws were mine.I didn't change any of the settings. My photographic skills are challenged. It was fantastic being able to attend the banquet. We are so very proud of Dayven. We love him like one of our own. Mark & Deb (Luke's folks)
A great honor, the type of son-in-law you want for your daughter
I asked Josh why he doesn't have any hall-of-fame honors at CSM, and he just laughed. He said "I was okay at football, but Dayven was really REALLY good at track". He deserves it. If we lived closer we would've come!
Post a Comment